Sunday, January 06, 2008

Woo Kok, SS3 Pasar Malam

When Melting Wok came back to Malaysia for a break, we met up and had some food adventures on several occasions. One of the things she told me about was the Woo Kok (Taro puff/Yam puff) from the SS3 Pasar Malam (night market) along Jalan SS3/29 and SS3/64 which is on every Tuesday. She was raving about the Woo Kok and said that I just have to try it.

On a Tuesday evening, she was kind enough to pack some for me. Why pack? Well, apparently they are snapped up pretty quick and it's normally sold out by 6pm. That's an hour just after the owner sets up his stall!!! I reached her place around 5 plus and she got into my car and carefully handed me the box of goodies. She looked at me with glee as I slowly opened the box like a kid opening up her Christmas present; unwrapping it slowly to prolong the excitement. It was a funny sight too as this took place in my car (which was pulled over to the side of the road) ...the excitement and the photo shoot. Hahaha....
Woo Kok (Taro Puff)
Golden Beauties; Woo Kok (Taro/Yam Puff)!

Melting Wok then kept prompting me to eat them straight away while we were still in the car. She said that they were still warm and it best eaten that way, otherwise, I should put them in an oven and heat them up for minute or two. I heeded her advice and took a bite there and then...
Woo <Kok (Taro Puff)
I was pleasantly surprised. With a crispy exterior, the filling of meat and onions (cooked with dark sauce) was still warm and moist and overloaded my taste buds with such a wonderful sensation that I was rendered speechless for a few seconds! Or was it the fact that I just couldn't talk with my mouth full??? Hahaha...

When I regained my speech, I asked Melting Wok, "Do you think there are any left at the stall?". Without a moment hesitation, we sped our way to the SS3 pasar malam area which is only about 5 minutes from her house, hoping to grab a few more Woo Kok. I'm serious, there was such urgency! LOL!
Stall owner

Price List
Reaching there we were relieved that there were still some left. I placed my order first and then only took photos (it would be a tragedy have I been told that there is none left by the time I finished taking photos!). Other customers surrounded the stall buying the numerous fried goodies. I eyed the Woo Kok zealously while making sure the owner packed my order :o).
Woo Kok (Taro Puff)
At RM1.30/USD0.40 (2007's prices..hehehe) a piece, this was indeed a simple and satisfying indulgence to me.

As we were leaving the area, we passed a stall that caught my eye and I decided to make a stop here and took some pics. This time, it was a stall selling Malay kuih (local cakes).
Price list

Putu Buluh (Bamboo rice flour with brown sugar)
These steaming bamboo rice kuih (Putu Buluh) was a sight I've not seen before, I must admit. It's actually rice flour with brown sugar filling being steamed in short hollowed bamboo sticks.
Putu Buluh (Bamboo rice flour with brown sugar)
Once cooked, they add desiccated coconut as topping. The whiff of fresh steaming kuih was just too much to bear and we ended up buying some (RM2/USD0.60 for 5 pieces). It was lovely as we ate it fresh off the steamer.

It's just Sunday night now...and I'm already thinking of making a pit stop at SS3 pasar malam this Tuesday for these two goodies. Who knows? I might find other goodies that will appeal to me, just like Teckiee did ;o). Thanks Melting Wok, for the Woo Kok you bought me and for telling me about it.


People are so worried about what they eat between Christmas and the New Year, but they really should be worried about what they eat between the New Year and Christmas.
~ Author Unknown




29 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wah! You posted my two favorites though the ones I ate is putu piring (flat like a saucer). I am surprised that woo kok is sold at the stall cos I can only get it at a dim sum restaurant.

Rasa Malaysia said...

OMG, the "chap" is oozzzzzinnnnng our of the woo kok...so juicylicious. All the woo kok I get in the US has no chap...sigh!

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

i was wondering how you took the pictures in a moving car..thank god for the 2nd batch!

yammylicious said...

wu kok wu kok!!! crispy exterior.. i heart wu kok black sauce~

Anonymous said...

Looks really delicious. Will call you to get direction to the pasar malam! hehe.

Jason said...

*Imagining the taste of the puff*
Drool :D

Big Boys Oven said...

Wah! how can I resist this, defintely will get them as it gonna be near by my new office, lol!

Christina Kim said...

The prices of their kueh seemed reasonable:)
hahaha...really urgent woo kok hour huh? :D

tigerfish said...

I love cheap and good dim sum.
The bamboo rich kuih like those kuih tu-tu, except these bamboo ones are rolls instead of flats :0

Anonymous said...

i am never sure if woo kok is made of taro or yam..what is the difference? woo kok is one of my favourite dim sum. as we do not have such food stalls here, i can only indulge in woo kok at the dim sum restaurant. it looks delicious but it seems to have too much gravy? hmm-steam rice with coconut in bamboo..wah this posting is causing my tummy to rumble!!

ling239 said...

the woo kok is so juicy..... ^O^

New Kid on the Blog said...

Wei, next time, courier some to Penang la!!! See... I can see, cannot eat... very ganggu la!!

ekeng said...

long time didn't go pasar malam already..i miss Woo Kok and Putu Buluh.

Jun said...

ooh... din know can get such nice woo kok in stalls like tht...

wmw said...

Jackson : Can, can go with me but I don't know every hawker stall owner lah :P

wonda : They do sell the woo kok at the night markets here but this is the best one I've tasted so far!

RM : Yeah, it's so freshly made! That's why it's lovely.

Joe : I wrote that I pulled over to the side of the road?

yammylicious : If you heart woo kok, you'll definitely heart these woo kok from this stall!

Lyrical L : Think the sistas should pay a visit here one Tuesday.

Jason : Move to PJ and you won't have to imagine. Hahaha....

BBO : Lucky you, near your office, wah!

christy : Yes, it sounds ridiculous but the urgency was real at that time. LOL!

tigerfish : Yeah, woo kok is one of my favourite items for dim sum, hard to find good ones. This is a keeper..hahaha

Mrs Pitt : Taro = yam. Just like brinjal = eggplant :o) Its' the gravy that makes this so delicious!

ling239 : Hahaha...tell me about it. So yummy...

NKOTB : Better still, next time stay longer in KL, take you there! :o)

ekeng : Maybe you can go on your days off or you can hop over to SS3 just before you start work? 5pm, can right?

jun : Uh huh, me too...till now. Yay!

Anonymous said...

i'm pretty sure tat it will be sold off within 30 min after ur write up..shud keep it as secret mar :(

Precious Pea said...

Wahh...so golden looking...like golden egg!! Yumzz..pls tar bau 2 for me if you go again ok?

ai wei said...

don't like that lar... why post such great photo here?! they are as though the real piece of 3D food in front of me for me to grab and have a bit!...

but... only drooling over the comp...

Anonymous said...

I love you. I'm so having your babies. Lol.

You know, my fav dim sum is Woo Kok. I judge a dim sum restaurant by its Woo Kok. If it's mediocre then the whole place is deemed a failure in my eyes.

And now, I must visit SS3... ;)

sc said...

my first bite of dimsum is wookok when i was a kid..since then, it's always my fave dimsum. i Must eat this..but need to figure out where *scratches head*

Anonymous said...

wah the food photos veli the big! Nice! KL certainly has a lot of interesting food.. haih I didn't go try all when I was working there..

BTW care for a link exchange? I have added you :D Thanks!

boo_licious said...

glad u discovered the wu kok, it's very famous at ss3. Loads of yummy stuff there. Best part is they're different stalls compared to ss2.

wmw said...

kampungboycitygal: Our sadness will be the stall owner's happiness (cos the food so laku...hehehe).

Precious P : Considered it done!

ai wei: Hahaha...hope your PC is still working.

kennymah :Will put your application in my "Inbox" along with the rest. LOL! Did you manage to make a trip there yet?

sc: Why scratch when you can bring me there? ;o)

vkeong : Hi there...sure thing. Thanks for adding me.

Boo : Yalar...am truly glad. Hahaha...Yes, lots of interesting stalls.

tytty said...

hiya, ss3 is my "territory" (: find the tanned middle-aged dude that sells ban jian kuih. he makes them really well.

as for crispy apam baliks, ss3 is not the place .. better to stick to the white-haired uncle from chow yang pasar malam

cheers (:

Anonymous said...

Yummy..!! i need some..!!

Cokeworld Citizen said...

aiks...*kru kru kru* =.= dah makan but lapar again...very long didn't eat wu kok. So many other stuff as well! Did you try their pumpkin cake? Sounds interesting. In penang there is a stall that sells fried carrot cake just as laku as the stall u reviewed. But variety wise, kenot fight lah ;)

wmw said...

tytty : Thanks for dropping by and for the tip!

crunchasarus rex : Glad to know you do eat other things apart from ice ;o) LOL!

cokeworld citizen : I didn't try the pumpkin cake, usually just have eyes for the woo kok! Hehehe....

bigfish_chin said...

Hi,
Thanks for dropping by my blog!!! This wai Sek Gai ~ i used to go there too... love the Zhu-Nyuk-Fun(Pork Noodles)!
Wanna ask u something! What camera are u using? Your pics all very nice man!

:) Adding u in my blog too ~

wmw said...

bigfish_chin: Thanks for the link and the compliment :o). I use a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ3, an compact camera. It's pretty good for it's USD180-200 price range.