Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Soo Kee's Son Meng Chuan, Prawn & Beef Noodles @ Medan Imbi, KL

Taking a break from Egypt, I looked through my folders and found this (taken back in Dec!) and immediately told myself I need to visit this place soon. I missed Malaysian food a lot after my trip to Egypt and this is one of those noodles that I crave for.

I usually eat at the original Soo Kee located at 14, Medan Imbi but on the night we went, it was closed. Next alternative, Soo Kee's Son Meng Chuan which is just opposite across from daddy's place. This was my first time eating here but I do realise that this place is usually not as crowded as compared to original Soo Kee. I found Soo Kee's Son had a cleaner place and the workers were more friendly (in the sense that they actually smile as opposed to the straight face ones from daddy's place).

Soo Kee's Son Meng Chuan

Since there were only two of us, we couldn't really order a lot. Being more of a beef lover rather than prawns, we opted for the Keong Choong Ngau Yoke Hor (Ginger Spring Onion Beef Noodles - in this case, Flat Noodles) over the other specialty of Sang Har Mee (Fresh Water Prawn Noodles).

Pickled Green Chillies
But first, the essential Pickled Green Chillies - a must when eating the beef noodles.

Ginger Spring Onion Beef Noodles
When the noodles arrived, it looked good! We found the beef slices was tender and nice but not as tender as Soo Kee's. However, Soo Kee's Son fared better in terms of the noodles as it had "wok hei" (the "essence" imparted by a hot wok on the food - according to Wikipedia) and was full of flavour coupled with the yummy egg swirled gravy!

Spinach in Superior Broth
We wanted vegetables and we wanted soup too, so we ended up ordering the 2 in one dish; Spinach in Superior Broth. It had a generous amount of golden anchovies and bits of century egg (my fave!) and the soup was indeed superior!

I'm not sure about how the other dishes fare here but it was an enjoyable dinner though it wasn't our first choice of venue. The next time I'm in the area and looking for beef noodles...I think I might just pick the son's place over the dad's ;o).

For a history lesson on Soo Kee's and his children, check out Babe_KL's post HERE.

It is not flesh and blood but the heart which makes us fathers and sons. ~ Johann Schiller





25 comments:

J2Kfm said...

Kon Chau Ngau Hor!!! my fav!!!
in fact, anything wif beef also i like. =P

Precious Pea said...

I can't remember if I tried it at the daddy's or the son's place. Personally, I don't like beef which is tenderized using baking soda. Although soft and tender, no more beefy taste oledi.

HairyBerry said...

blow up the beef hor fun pic any bigger and i'll have to tie a few napkins on neck already...plus green chilli somemore!

oppss, i just dripped...

Bernsy said...

Still one of the best Ngau Hor in town.... slurrpp !!!!

Anonymous said...

Wah, got daddy's place and son's place some more, ar? Must be very popular then...

I'm not the biggest fan of beef myself, but I do enjoy it immensely when it's cooked to perfection like here. :D

Anonymous said...

Yummy...!! i want some.. ! please..!

jasmine said...

i too ended up at the son's after finding the main soo kee closed. it was the sang har meen i tried and i wasn't too impressed. maybe the ngau hor fun will change my mind? :)

ling239 said...

i love their beef noodles too ~ ^_^

tigerfish said...

Beef Hor Fun! I love it and have not had it for a long long time! Hahhaa...yes yess...must have pickled green chili. Kicks it up a notch, ya?

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

yeap i think their beef hor fun is one of the best..if not abit salty at times..

Kok said...

wmw,
the beef in the hor fun still look raw. I think it should be tasted great. :)

Sharon Y. said...

Am I the only one more attracted to the spinach soup? Haha

Hazza said...

Two weeks away and missing the food already :) Imagine being over two decades away, lol!

Simon Seow said...

Beef hor fun rocks, sang har noodles I prefer Pan Hiong's.

Anonymous said...

Psst Durianberry, I'm more into the soup too... :p

daphne said...

History and food.. gosh. I miss pickled green chilis with this. It certainly looks very enjoyable.

teckiee said...

hmm i got to go eat again. i ate there 2 to 3 years ago.. cannot remember the taste liau

sc said...

i usually prefer Soo Kee Zhai's beef noodles too. oh, but there's a yummier one at petaling street. which, i have yet to post! haha

backStreetGluttons said...

lucky you went for the son , not the daddy
haha

New Kid on the Blog said...

the beef noodle looks good, unfortunately i can't take that. :(

wmw said...

j2kfm : You can try this place next time ;o).

Precious P: I like the way this noodle is cooked. I will eat the beef but not too much of it, prefer noodles!

Nic : As I read that, I recalled about you and those "legs" you were dripping over at BBO's place. Hey, it's May...singing time! Hehe

Bernsy : And you like whose? Daddy's or son's?

Kenny : Ooh, you should try it...there another branch in PJ.

C.rex : Hey there, haven't seen you for awhile. Yeah, this is good stuff.

jasmine : Oh yeah, do try that and see if it's better.

Ling239 : I love the noodles with the gravy, not so much of the beef. hehe...

Tigerfish : Oh yes..it's such a great combo. I must thank whoever who introduced pickled green chillies. Who?

Joe : Salty? Oh, I found mine okay but you referring to the son or daddy's place?

wonda said...

That spinach soup looks good. Trying to replicate it from your photo. Any garlic added?

wmw said...

kok : The beef isn't raw, about medium done. But maybe that's why I don't take so much of the beef, I like the beef medium well.

Durianberry & Jason : That's one of my fave soup orders. I like the soup (and the noodles), hehe...

Hazza : Gosh...I can't imagine :o)

Simon : Mmm...Pan Heong's pretty good too, agree.

daphne : Pickled green chillies, great stuff...eat them with Chee cheong fun too!

Teckiee : When??? Hee hee...

SC : Don't just post about it, take me there! :o)

Team BSG : LOL! Trust you to say that...

NKOTB : If it's cos of religion, never mind. But if you can't stand the smell, then just wallop the noodles :o).

wonda : Yes, slices of garlic in the soup, lots of it.

Anonymous said...

http://mapdoo.com/?id=aab126559

this location map on Mapdoo could be useful for those that do not know where is Soo Kee...

Unknown said...

hahaah this is my uncle restaurant..my mom has a branch in taman megah too ^^