Friday, May 11, 2007

Mom...Happy Mother's Day!

That's my mom doing one of her routine chores...clearing dead leaves. The creepers are no longer there now and mom has one less thing to keep her occupied. She wakes up early in the morning and joins her batch of elderly friends at the park for her daily lesson of Qi Qong. That and a walk in the evening after dinner is how she stays active.

I remember when I was younger, I wished I was like my mom. Having to go to work and be out of the house. I couldn't recall that she had to tend to housework too at that time, as everything seem to be fun and games for me. She really didn't have a easy life, coming from a family of 7 other siblings. She is a filial daughter, being the eldest, my grandma relied on her the most. As kids, they had to do odd jobs like sewing just to earn that bit of extra income and somehow that bit went a long way. In primary school, she was blessed as she had a group of lovely dear friends who insisted that she ate with them and took turns to buy her meals, as she couldn't even afford a simple bowl of noodles which was just a mere 5 sen in those days.

I love listening to her stories of yesteryear as that is my way of getting to know my mom as a friend and not just as my mother. She has been through quite a lot; surviving Japanese occupation when she was a kid, contributing more than her fair share with her odd jobs to improve the welfare of her siblings...and perhaps the only event I was physically around to see her deal with; the passing of my Dad. My mom is a strong woman but most of all, she's a woman who knows that LIFE goes on ... Some things are better; we all get better, when we learn to let go.

And now, in her grey years (her hair is darker than mine actually!), she has taken it easier and she is learning to enjoy her life. Relax Mom, it's now YOUR turn and YOUR time to enjoy LIFE! This post may be 2 days early (but better early than late or never!)...Here's wishing you, from the bottom of my heart, a very

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie. ~ Tenneva Jordan


P.S. To my blog readers who are MOTHERs, this warm greeting goes out to you all too! You all have my respect for who you are and what you do in this special role of yours!

19 comments:

Lee Ping said...

Dear WMW,

Such a lovely post. I am very touched when I read that your Mom's friends would take turns buying her meals when she was younger.

And thanks for your Mother's Day wishes. A month ago, my Dad and I wrote an article for Mother's Day, I will post it, on Saturday (my time). Come by if you have time.

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much..WMW..!! And a Happy Mother's Day to your mom..!! i wish her good health always.

msiagirl said...

What a lovely post for your Mom. I am reminded to phone my Mom tomorrow in Penang.

Precious Pea said...

Your mum reminds me of my mum, she too suffered poverty and Japanese occupation when young but that moulded her to be a strong woman. But sadly, she didn't stay long enough to enjoy her life with her grown-up daughters and didn't even get to see her grandson which she yearn for all these years. But I know one thing, she will be so glad to see we are doing well in life. :)

Happy Mother's Day to your mum!

Kok said...

wmw,
Wish your mum and all the other bloggers who are mum, a HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

"Ibuuu...ibuuuu...engkaulahh..ratu hatiku...!"

This dedicate to all the mums all around the world!:)

Tummythoz said...

That's your mom? Thot was your sis! ;)

MeiyeN said...

lovely post, happy mother's day to your mom!!!!

Xiu Long Bao said...

waa...ur mum is so fit! Doesn't look like a 70 yr old lady at all :)

My lucky mum was born in merdeka month, ie August 1957.

k.t.x said...

she kicks and punches the punching bag??? lol.

it is good to know mothers r doing well.

Anonymous said...

That's a lovely post... Thanks kar jie! Happy Mother's Day to your mom :)

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

happy mothers day to all the mothers out there!..how come u nvr help her but instead take picture ar?..

wmw said...

lee ping : Will drop by your blog to have a read.

mama bok, kok, mei yen, jason & jackson : Thanks!!!

msiagirl : Did I remind you through my post? ;o) Bet your Mom will be very happy to hear your voice.

precious pea : Yes, I bet your mom is very proud of you!

tummythoz : Either my mom stills looks young or I look old! LOL...

xiu long bao : So, are you planning a grand birthday celebration for your mom's 50th birthday???

k.t.x: Hi there! Nah, my nephew works out on that punching bag. Ha ha....

joe : She likes doing certain things...keeps her active. It's okay, not that taxing on her, take away dead leaves only. Hee hee...

wonda said...

You have a great and resilient mom. Happy Mother's Day to her!

Anonymous said...

So nice to be able to hear about mum's life. Sometimes we forget mums are people too, with their own stories, while we go about our own lives. Happy mother's day to your mum!

Anonymous said...

Wah.... so nice of your to dedicate an article just for your mom. And I am so touched by your article too. Anyway, best wishes to you. By the way, I should be calling my mom who's in Kota Kinabalu too ...

wmw said...

wonda & kat: Thanks a lot...Hope you have a great day this Sunday.

Timothy : Hey there! Hope you made that call to your mom ;o) See you around!

Anonymous said...

wmw, wishing your mum a very happy belated Mother's Day. As Mother's Day in UK was in Feb, it was only today I thought I should go blog hopping to see what has been blogged about Mother's Day.

Your article is wonderful. I was going to say what a lovely climber but alas, you mentioned that it is no longer there.

Judy

Babe_KL said...

read this gave me a very warm fuzzy feeling. thanks for your wishes too ;-) and would certainly wish your mom a blessed Mother's Day.

no wonder i always feel very safe with you around... how many hours you train on that sandbag??? :p

wmw said...

Judy : Thanks! Yah, the climber was lovely but sadly no longer there...it probably got too heavy and collapsed one day.

babe_kl: Ha ha ha....Where got training? I walk past it, hit it once or twice, it's my nephew's! Hee hee