Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Florence's Nyonya Delights - Section 17, Petaling Jaya

A while back, I made a valiant attempt to wake up early when Ash told me about her relative's stall in Section 17 that sells Nyonya goodies. Since it's only open early in the morning (and I was told that usually all the goodies are sold out within the first couple of hours or so), I found myself standing in front of the busy stall one early Saturday morning at around 7 plus am (unbelievably so that I managed to wake up!).

Florence's Stall in Sec 17

I was amazed at the variety this little stall had. Florence, the owner, and her family runs this stall selling all sorts of Nyonya delights (with recipes passed down from one generation to the next!).

Nyonya Delights
The Savoury Pumpkin Angku (glutinous rice flour cake with different type of fillings, in this case - Pumpkin) caught my eye but in my haste to snaps photos (as I was holding back customers!), I forgot about it till much later and it was gone...sold out! Sob!



Assorted Puffs
Assorted Puffs - There's Chicken & Egg Curry, Chicken, Durian and also Baked Siew Pau too.

 More Nyonya Delights
All the items are homemade - Chiffon Cakes, Assorted Puffs, Yam Cake, Nyonya Kuih and many others, using only natural colouring, natural flavours with no preservatives.

But one of the main reasons why I was really there? I was told that Florence dishes out good Mee Siam (one of my favourite noodles!) and I just had to try it. At RM3.30/USD1 a box, it was tasty indeed and much better than the ones sold in malls like Ikano.

Mee Siam
The sambal was good and aromatic with enough spices and onions. It added plus points to this "economy" style Mee Siam.

Mee Siam
Most importantly, the rice noodles weren't the brittle type (using the right type of rice noodles for Mee Siam is essential!).

I tried the chicken & egg curry puff too which was delicious. I enjoyed this early morning breakfast stop in Section 17 and there are still many more items which I have yet to try. Now, there's one more good reason for me to get up early in the morning ;o).


Florence
Jalan 17/29
(in front of Teo Huat/Wah Cheong Coffeeshop, same row as Caring Pharmacy)
Petaling Jaya

Opens on weekends, early morning from 7 plus onwards ...
H/P : 012-296 6131


You have to have a dream so you can get up in the morning
- Billy Wilder




21 comments:

backStreetGluttons said...

make sure you tapau the mee siam for us next time !

Precious Pea said...

Ooo..that a good find! The Mee Siam sure looks good! So how early is early in order to be there early enuff to grab the goodies?

Simon Seow said...

Wow, that area really a lot of hidden gems. What time advisable to be there?

ilene said...

It's hard to find good nyonya kuehs these days. Thanks for taking the trouble to get Florence mobile number. I'm sure it'll come in handy one day!

Ya, like PreciousPea's query, how early is early and also Sats & Suns & Public holidays she's there too?

jasmine said...

i do like the sound of this kueh stall. also going to echo the question of how early is early? :P

worldwindows said...

It is always amazing to check out the colours and the taste of nyonya kuih. Great recommendation.

sc said...

food looks so colourful and yummy! the meesiam looks mouth watering. but how early ar MW that i need to be there (i usually sleep late on weekends :p)

Ethan W. said...

Wah, major accomplishment to wake up so early! Haha. the stuff looks good man. Noodles n durian puff especially.

Anonymous said...

whoa this is like a hidden gem for us! food crawl anytime?

wmw said...

BSG : I tahpau for you all also dunno where you guys are leh..hehehe...

Precious P: Oops thought I wrote the time (have added in now). I went there at 7 plus am!

Jackson : Wanna try the kuih next!

Simon : 7 plus am! Call first lo..

Ilene : No worries...my pleasure!

Jasmine : Sorry, left that out earlier...7 plus am!

Rebecca Saw said...

ohh..i read abt it in the star. been meaning to try it out, thks for reminding me!hard to get good kueh in KL..

tigerfish said...

Nyonya food has attracted more pple here in SG after the hit Nyonya drama.

Anonymous said...

Wah, that's really an accomplishment of yours to be awake at such early hour! :P

wmw said...

WorldWindows : Yah...a great find!

SC : 7plus!

Ethan : Yup, especially on weekends, hahaha...

KBCG : Yah lo, but must get up early! You plan the next food crawl?

thenomadGourmand : No worries :o). Haven't seen the article till I was at the stall.

tigerfish : Oh yah, read briefly about such a movie. You trying to make any Nyonya dishes?

Jason : Yup, and it was worth it! Phew!

choi yen said...

Colourful nyonya kuih, nice to look, good to eat too :)

Anonymous said...

I wish I could have this for breakfast daily :(

Anonymous said...

what was truly unbelievable was the fact that you were up that early? hmmm... care to make a morning run for me when i am around? the mee siam does look yummy!! - mp

Anonymous said...

the angku is nicely done. i prefer the mee siam. more reasons to find u there eh.

wmw said...

mimid3vils : Yah, all good :o)

vkeong : But only available on weekends wor...

MP : Sure thing! Next time you are here, eh?

LittleGuyBigKitchen : Hey there, nice to see you around!

Anonymous said...

oh no! i can't get the mee siam outta my head...think i'll have to head over there real soon. tomorrow's breakfast will be SO boring...

Dalicia said...

i was just searching about nyonya mee siam and found your site! i really miss a good plate of mee siam. thank you for sharing!