Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Chinatown Essentials - Petaling Street KL (Part 1)

(NON-HALAL)

I was looking through my archives and found that I didn't blog on a momentous trip that a group of us made to Petaling Street for a food crawl. Now, we are talking about way back in late 2007. This is REALLY old news :o). But I guess better "old" than never and thought it would be good to blog about it as this memorable trip would then be recorded in my blog "history". I guess I decided to finally do so as I realised that places like these aren't that many in Klang Valley. Some have disappeared in time and I had wished I was around earlier to have taken photos of them.

I particularly recall my fave ice cream stall located at the coffee-shop opposite the old Rex Cinema. What is that place being used for now? Oh, how I missed being surprised by furry rodents scurrying around our feet as we watched the stars on the silver screen.... LOL! Those were the days. I remember that whenever a blockbuster is shown, the queue for tickets would be extremely long and winding. Right from the inner building and out onto the streets! Hahaha...and there would be touts selling tickets for double the price for those who would like to skip the line. Once in awhile, we would be blessed to see a familiar face right up in front of the line, then we would "tumpang" and get our friend to buy the tickets for us. Ahhhh...perforated tickets with our seat numbers written with red crayon. Where first class at the balcony was RM3.50 and those below would be RM2.50! I miss those days..... :o) What else do you remember about those days? How about the Toong Fong, Foh Hup and Sri Jaya buses and the notorious Mini Bus??? :p Oh well, I seemed to have gotten carried away .... back to the food, I say!

Petaling Street

Hon Kee Porridge - Jalan Hang Lekir

Famous Hon Kee Porridge

If you ever find yourself craving for some porridge for the soul in the early hours of the morning... this place opens at 5 a.m till about 1 p.m. There are several varieties here that one usually expects from a porridge stall.

Bowls of delight
Our bowls of delight ....




My order of shredded chicken and century egg ....(Note : I ask for them to hold the ginger as I'm not a fan - hence it's missing from my order)

Shredded Chicken & Century Egg Porridge
The red plate of raw fish on top was Precious Pea's order. Jason had the shredded chicken porridge but of course, this would not be complete if we didn't have .....


..... a side order of deep fried intestines and fried crullers (yau char gway) for the perfect combo with smooth porridge! A big 10 on the yummylicious scale! Hahaha... Hon Kee has an outlet in Damansara Utama which I have yet to try ... definitely looks more "upscale" than this conventional stall in Petaling Street. So, which do you prefer?

Fried Crullers & Fried Crispy Intestines

As we waited for the porridge to arrive, Boo_licious who opted for Chee Cheong Fun instead had to wait for us to take photos of it before she could tuck in :o)

Chee Cheong Fun - corner shop opposite Hong Leong Bank

Chee Cheong Fun

We did a test taste and found it alright, lots of folks seem to be patronizing this place though. Guess it's still one of the better food stalls around in Petaling Street (opens 7 am - 4.30pm).

Chee Cheong Fun stall


Of course, with all these food - we needed to some drinks to wash it down ...

The Essential Petaling Street Drink
One can't go to Petaling Street and not drink the Famous Air Mata Kucing (Dried Longan) ...

Dried Longan (Air Mata Kucing)
Air Mata Kucing stall, located at the junction of Jalan Petaling and Jalan Hang Lekir, opens from 10am-11pm.
Those in Midvalley can quench their thirst with this too ... but of course, I prefer the "feel" in Petaling Street.

As we made our to our next stop, we passed this 40 year old stall selling roast duck and "parts"...

Sze Ngan Chye ("Bespectacled Kid"), opens from 6am - 3pm ...obviously no longer a kid after all these years. And probably became long sighted and didn't need his glasses anymore ;o)

Sze Ngan Chye - Roast Duck Stall

Ngap Keok Pau (Duck Feet Parcel)
Saving tummy room for more, we didn't indulge ourselves with a roast duck but Precious Pea and Boo_licious decided to get a couple of Duck Feet Parcel (Ngap Keok Pau) which is duck feet and liver wrapped with duck intestine, slathered with a savoury sweet sauce. You know, I used to love eating these till I found out what it was! Hahahaa...Let's just say, I haven't eaten one in awhile :o)



To be continued ...

20 comments:

J said...

Wah. From 2007?? How time flies though....

ilene said...

Oh you make me drool! I feel like taking a walk to Petaling Street for lunch today!! Wanna come? My lunch break is from 1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. only!

UnkaLeong said...

Ahhh...Petaling Street. The covered canopy took away some of it's "soul", but it's still a treat to visit.

thebaDderMan said...

Long time we haven't been back here for nostalgia deliciousness, we pick you up same time around 2am ok. Yeah !

See ya Dear :)

New Kid on the Blog said...

what's the different between this Hon Kee Porridge and the one in Hutong Lot 10??

New Kid on the Blog said...

Sorry... are they the same??

jason said...

Tried the Hon Kee at Uptown... they didn't serve the fried intestines here!

choi yen said...

thought 1 2 go Uptown but Jason said they didnt serve fried intestines!!! How can!!!

Precious Pea said...

We shall have the porridge + big bowl of intestines for brekkie this Thurs ok??

wmw said...

J : Yah, it does...a reminder to live life to the fullest for me!

Ilene : Saw yr message too late...hahaha. Did you had your lunch in Petaling Street?

Unka : Yes, always & forever (as long as it's around!)

thebaDderman ; Okay ah, I wait!

NKOTB : Yes, they are the same...

Jason : Hmmm...so pork free ah or just not serving that?

mimid3vils : Go to Petaling Street!

Precious P : On!

Taufulou said...

its been long time since to that place.

Babe_KL said...

so nostalgic but these days the feeling isn't there anymore :(

Ciki said...

LOL, just like you, cumi hates ginger, but i love it! the raw fish looks delightfully pink.. take me !

wmw said...

taufulou : It's good to go back and visit such places once in a while :o)

babe_kl : Just went back there yesterday, definitely more feel eating here than eating in Lot 10 Hutong! Hahaha...

Cumi&Ciki : Hahaha...How about the one in DU?

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love those duck and liver combo drenched in chinese barbeque sauce. How I wish they make it the same here? Thanks for the down memory lane post. I do remember Rex Cinema and the awful queue for a ticket to watch Jurassic Park. Hehehe....Funny that you did not mention the burger stall right in front of the cinema. Maybe they are gone by now. They make the best sloppy Ramly burger ever.

Air said...

Roasted duck look yummy though =)

wmw said...

Anonymous : Didn't really eat Ramly burgers back in those days ... it was more of the sotong bakar! Hahaha......

Air : Yeah, they always look yummy to me too...but had to reserve stomach place for other stuff that time :o)

WP said...

nice write up.. thanks for sharing :)

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm....sotong bakar and the cucumber-stuffed tauhu bakar that they poured a bucket of the red sweet sauce on??? Good stuff! I should visit KL more often. Do you remember a man selling "tok-tok" candy (that's the sound he makes when breaking the candy into tiny pieces)in front of the chinese book store? My mum's flight should reach here in another hour or so. Can't wait for all the goodies from Malaysia she will bring for us. I hope she can somehow magically bring us the aforementioned sotong bakar :)

wmw said...

Tummy Rumble : Thanks for dropping by :o)

Anonymous : And I'm sure you will treasure that stash! Hahaha....