Monday, November 15, 2010

Kampua Noodles @ Pasar Awam Kg Koh, Sitiawan

Continuing from my previous post...remember that we arrived at Yee Si too early and could only get the orders an hour later? Well, what did we do to kill time? Charles whisked us off for lunch at the Kampung Koh wet market. Check out Motormouth From Ipoh's post when he ate here too (with map and directions) during his food hunt in Sitiawan. This place opens for breakfast till lunch time (we were there around 2 plus and it was still operating).

The stall
Well known for dishing out home made Kampua Noodles (Foo Chow style) ... at the Pasar Awam Kg Koh at Jalan Simpang Dua

The stall
As we arrived for a late lunch, the lunch crowd had dispersed by then

Loh Mee
Some of us opted for the Loh Mee, which I'm not really a fan of ... I somehow don't like the combination of the yellow noodles with the starchy gravy. I don't think I'm the only one here but I have different noodle preferences for different type of styles e.g. beehoon mee for prawn noodles, kway teow for fried noodles, lai fun (if available) for curry (especially for Thai laksa!) if not, sang mee (the ones for wantan noodles), bee hoon for tomyam....you get what I mean. It had lily bulbs, dried cuttlefish and bamboo shoots in it. I tasted a bite of it and while the noodles were springy, I found it to be rather bland for me but maybe it's cos I'm from KL as the locals seem to like it. Moreover, it had bamboo shoots which I'm not keen on too. However .... something else added zing to it. Read on ....

Foo Chow Kampua Noodles
I ordered the dry Kampua Noodles and fortunately, I found this more tasty that the Loh Mee but yet nothing out of the extraordinary. The noodles were springy, with the usual "run-of-the-mill" char siew (BBQ pork) slices that one would find served with most wantan noodles. But then, remember that I said that something else added zing to the Loh Mee? It kicked this kampua noodles up a notch too...No, it's not the Kg. Koh garlic chilli sauce...but...

Pickled garlic!
Pickled chopped garlic!!!! Soaked in vinegar...seriously potent stuff here. Though obviously eaten with the Loh Mee, adding a bit of this to both type of the noodles made a marked improvement to them (yes, to the dry Kampua Noodles too). However, definitely for garlic lovers only! Hahaha....

Both noodles were RM2.50 each (if I recall correctly), it's rather cheap eating in Sitiawan as compared to our Klang Valley prices. Anyway, hearing our "average rating" feedback for the noodles here, Charles told us that we better make some room for supper as he intends to take us to another spot for a yummier version of Kampua Noodles...

Stay tuned!

8 comments:

J said...

Garlic. EW.
(Actually, I don't mind the taste, just that I hate walking around smelling like it later. :P)

Bangsar-bAbE said...

I'm a true-blue hock chew girl...so I love love love my lor mee. LOL

I usually eat a bowl of lor mee AND kampua noodles at one go. Plus a couple of steamed peanut layer pau at Yee Si at 3pm. ;)

Kenny Mah said...

I love my garlic... so I'd probably have a go at the kampua noodles or the lor mee for the garlic, hehe.

sc said...

i'm not a fan of loh mee either, and for the same reason! hmmm, since you like chopped, pickled garlic, then you may like pickled garlic cloves too! (i had it in kelantan)

jason said...

Err.. usually lor mee uses the thick yellow noodle, no? I prefer the thick one than the usual one :p

wmw said...

J : Just make sure that there aren't any lip action later lo ;o)

Bangsar Babe : Lor Mee AND kampua noodles...Wah!

LFB : Go Sitiawan!

sc : A whole lump? Might be a be too much...

Jason : I'm not that keen on both..

J2Kfm said...

Yeahloh. Cannot tahan the Lor Mee lah. We are creatures of the same interests.
Let's do food hunts soon ya?

wmw said...

J2kfm : When? Where? Here in Klang Valley? When are you moving over here?