Monday, October 17, 2011

Lim Kee Tang Hun off Jalan Kuchai Lama, Kuala Lumpur

My first visit to Lim Kee (yes, just Lim Kee sans Tang Hun) was a few years back with Jason. Soon, after a few more visits to this place, the shack was torn down and I wondered where it had gone! Two years later while chatting with a new found friend of mine, I was elated to find out the new location of Lim Kee.  I was told it's now located in a proper corner shoplot and wondered whether food still tasted as good as before.

Lim Kee Tang Hun

I was indeed excited at the thought of finally revisiting my long lost Lim Kee, now known to me as Lim Kee Tang Hun.  So, has any of my old fave dishes stood the test of time (and relocation)?

Fried Abacus Seeds

The Fried Abacus Seeds still tasted good to me.  The abacus seeds seem a bit softer as compared to back then.  I just love biting into the bits of dried prawns and coriander!


The Fried Tang Hoon (Glass Noodles) with Bitter gourd also fared well.  Again, not oily and light ... like the same as before.

Fruit Juice Pork Ribs
We ordered the Fruit Juice Pork Ribs and it came out slightly different from the earlier version.  These came in much smaller bite sized (see the earlier bigger sized serving HERE).  The fruit juice also tasted different to me, more of an enzyme flavour ... an acquired taste, either you like it or you don't.  I couldn't decide as I was disappointed with the change.

Fried Sweet Potato Noodles
Having tasted this wet dish from the old location, we ordered the Fried Sweet Potato Noodles and wondered if it's better now.  Well, if you were to compared to the old pic - this is definitely not as wet as before (not swimming in a pool of gravy) which is good news but it was still too wet for our liking.  Must make a mental note - remember to ask them for a dry version of this the next time we order it. And yes, you can request for more crispy lard if you want ;o).

Other dishes ordered were a vegetable dish and Kam Heong Lala.  Bill came up to RM89 (plus tea) for the 4 of us.  In my heart, I wish I was still dining at the old shack; it has lost some of the rustic charm (and maybe taste)...but I have to embrace the change and that I will do.  I'll be back ... we'll be back.

If you don't like something, change it;
If you can't change it, change the way you think about it
- Mary Engelbreit

Restoran Lim Kee Tang Hun
2G, Jalan 3/114
Kuchai Business Centre
Off Jalan Kuchai Lama
58200 Kuala Lumpur

Tel : 603-7981 1972

Opens Daily except Mondays 5.30pm - 12 midnight

6 comments:

qwazymonkey said...

I like a good abacus seed any time. But the Tang Hoon with bitter gourd looks absolutely yummmy.

Anyway, just want to inform you that I'm back to blogging again and I've recently migrated over to http://alilfatmonkey.com. Please do update your RSS or blogroll. thanks!

Ciki said...

Food looks terrific!! I love tanghun lah!

jason said...

Oooo so now you'll have to bring me there and hopefully no getting lost on some unknown highway again! Hahaha.

Babe_KL said...

aiyoh those abacus seeds look so delish!

J2Kfm said...

Wei! I was there a few weeks ago also... let me gather my pics and share. Yeah, indeed was a good place, but I felt that Pu Yuan and of course, Hua Xing are better in terms of wok hei and flavours.

wmw said...

qwazymonkey : Nice meeting you the other day. Have updated my blogroll!

Cumi&Ciki : Tang Hun good but the sweet potato noodles too wet for me...not as good.

Jason : Mari, mari, mari...

Babe_KL : Yes, how did they ever come up with such a yummy dish? Imagine, abacus seeds!

James : Yes, Hua Xing's sweet potato noodles better!