Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Kokopelli, Jalan Bukit, Petaling Jaya

UPDATED : KOKOPELLI IS NOW LOCATED IN SECTION 14. CLICK HERE TO READ THE LATEST REVIEW.

(Halal)

I had been wanting to drop by Kokopelli since reading it first from Xiu Long Bao, then Tankiasu and subsequently Lyrical Lemongrass. Not only was I to discover a new restaurant when I first stepped into the premises but I was also greeted with a pleasant surprise (read on to find out).
Kokopelli

collage9
Kokopelli exudes a certain charm.
collage10
collage13
The interior-little touches here and there do make a lot of difference

Since I've been to this place on 3 different occasions with 3 different groups, there are quite a number of food pics....So please be a little patient while the photos load. During my first trip here with Precious Pea and her friend for dinner, we ordered the Char Kway Teow (CKT)which is fried flat noodles, and asked for extra chilli. When the plate of CKT arrived, we were shocked when we saw the very reddish plate. Apparently, the original order comes spicy enough. So, we told ourselves that we would come back and NOT ask for extra chilli so that we can access it fairly.
Image00075
Though I'm not a fan of Seafood, I tried the pasta from this Seafoood Aglio Olio (RM18.90/USD5.50) dish and found it tasty, with the pasta cooked al-dente and enough spices to make the three of us dig in with gusto!
Image00095
The NZ Lamb - served with Corn, grilled vegetables and baked potato (RM20.90/USD6). We tried the Mushroom Sauce and asked for it to be done "medium". We found it a bit overcooked but the tasty mushroom sauce helped to make it more palatable, making the meat less dry.

It was during my first visit that I found out the place is run by the chef/owner who is Ariff and Soraya who is Ariff's wife. Both were not around that night (hence, we told ourselves that we have to come back to eat Ariff's personal treatment of dishing up a plate of his reputable CKT!) and so, I did not get to meet them. However, staring at Soraya's card, I suddenly realised that she was my ex school mate from the same year. I decided to contact her and we then decided to meet up together with another friend, YSF (whom I keep in contact with) who was her classroom partner! We had a Sunday lunch in store....

But before we could meet up, I went to Kokopelli again (this time, for lunch) as Glorious Jade had wanted to try this place out for quite awhile and Korean Princess was simply dragged along with us. Though Ariff wasn't around, I went ahead and ordered the CKT again.
Image00041
This time, not asking for any extra chili! Hahaha....I found the CKT (RM8.90/USD2.50) missing in something as it was not fragrant enough though it was certainly spicy. I figured it's because it might have been cooked not using high flames, hence, no wok hei. There's a generous amount of chives, beansprouts, cockles and fish cake. I really need to catch Ariff when he's around to try the "real thing".
Image00056
Korean Princess' French Onion Soup, took about 20 minutes to arrive as it had to be baked. Now, this is what I call soup...Absolutely heavenly with just the right consistency and lots of onions abound! The two slices of baguette with the layer of baked cheese was lovely. I tried a slice and as I bit into it....the bread released a fantastic combined flavour of soup and cheese.
Image00058
The cauliflower and broccoli gratin (RM7.90/USD2.30) was Glorious Jade's order. It was baked and filled with lovely cheesy cream which she enjoyed. However, there seems to be more cauliflower than broccoli as I supposed it's because broccoli is more expensive.
Image00029
My Cantonese Yee Mee (RM8.90/USD2.50) was good too...served with a generous amount of the usual ingredients amd lots of gravy with egg swirls. I drank the gravy like soup till the bowl was almost...(almost!) empty. Ate the noodle with chili padi (bird's eye chili pepper), really satisfying!

Then the awaited Sunday came where YSF and I met up with Soraya at Kokopelli again. We arrived earlier than she did and I proceeded to order the Beef Kebab as this is only available on weekends.
Image00069
Served with my choice of sweetish black pepper sauce, some salad and briyani rice, the beef kebabs (RM25.90/USD7.50) comes in 5 square cubes. Skewered together with intervals of onions, capsicum, aubergine and mushroom, I had fun eating. The briyani rice seems to be of basmati rice grains and was not starchy and lumpy, cooked to almost perfection according to the way I like it.
Beef Kebab
The beef was cooked just right, with a pink but bloodless center. Tender and still moist, it was truly a treat.
Image00081
YSF's Beef Stroganoff Pie (RM11/USD3.20). According to YSF, it was delicious and better than Dome's in terms of taste and price! She's already planning to take her parents her for a meal as she mentioned that they would love eating this pie.
Image00097
Soraya ordered herself the Big American Breakfast. Consisting of omelette, toast, baked beans, chic ham and two chicken bratwurst, it was really a BIG plate! hahaha....Soraya gave me a bite of the chicken bratwurst. Mmmm....the casing was soft and the meat was flavourful.
Image00118
We then had our coffee and I did like the Butterscotch Latte that I had. Soraya then suggested that we try a slice of the Royal Pistachio cake(RM6.90/USD2). The cake was nice and moist, very fresh. The cream was light though abudantly evident! Ha ha ha....

We sat from 12.30 till 4 pm, chatting about the old times and breaking out into songs of the 80s. Soraya's a real fan of Nick Rhodes (Duran Duran) and it was him who inspired her to take up photography when she saw him holding a Nikon camera in the videoclip of "A View To A Kill". Hahaha.....Who would have thought that would lead to who she is today. By the way, there will be an art photography exhibition held at Kokopelli, check it out...Chan and Ariff, if you're reading this, it was also a pleasure to have met you both :o) See you all soon...Looks like I have found myself three photography mentors??? I hope...I enjoyed the meet up and look forward to our next outing. Friends are important in my life and a lost friend found, is even more precious!

Walll Space


KOKOPELLI Travellers Bistro
Location: 6, Jalan Bukit, Section 11/2,
Petaling Jaya.
Tel: 03-7956 7505 (Reservation advisable as tables are limited)

(If University Hospital - now known at UMMC is on your left, turn right at the traffic lights just before reaching UMMC. Drive straight down till you reach a school on your left, Kokopelli will be on the opposite right side of the road. Alternatively, you can turn left at the traffic lights after passing Jaya Supermarket at Section 14 on the main road. As Crystal Crown hotel appears on your right side, take the left turn. Drive straight through and you will reach Kokopelli on your left).

Business hours:
Tuesday to Thursday and Saturday – noon to 3pm, 6pm to midnight.
Friday – 6pm to midnight.
Sunday – 10am to 3pm.

Also read she, the epicurious girl's review


A good friend is a connection to life - a tie to the past, a road to the future, the key to sanity in a totally insane world. ~ Lois Wyse



33 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a spread! Seems that a place to satisfy the western and asian palates! THough I know aglio-olio is nice (never failed me before), I would always choose CKT over aglio-olio if I just had ONE choice. :p

Precious Pea said...

I wanna go back again but any idea what day Ariff is around at the shop?

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

hmmm the ratings seems to get better..looks like its gonna b my turn to try out this place..maybe this saturday perhaps..

Anonymous said...

nz lamb!
you can buy a real lamb for $40 =)

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Beef kebabs look wonderful! So moist and delectable. Mmmmmmmmmmm. ;-)

Big Boys Oven said...

Lovely pictures as always. Full of life, vibrant and coluours.

wmw said...

tigerfish :Yes, quite a varied spread available here. Next time, Ariff's CKT!

Precious P : He's usually there unless he gets called away, no fix time. Other than that, when???

Joe: Yup, take note of the yummy ones! I was also eating with my lovely friends to boot...

c : Really ? If I stayed in NZ, I would buy a lamb to be my pet! Hee hee

Lyrical L : Weekends....weekends, when????

bigboysoven: Thanks....the place does have a nice ambiance.

Precious Pea said...

Eh? So it depends on my luck also lor? Aiseh...you got his hp or not?

Ethan W. said...

Good stuff man by the looks of it! The CKT doesn't seem to be worth the $8 price-tag. Its more expensive than some of the other dishes!

When taking soupy/drippy pics like the Beef Stroganoff Pie, the stains on the side of the bowl become a bit of a problem (ruins it) for me. Is there some mentality you have when taking the pic?

I like the Cantonese Yee Mee pic though. Nice blend of colours.

nick rhodesoraya said...

Aloo! Can call Ariff anytime 019-267 666 7. Sure can fry CKT for ya. No prob!

New Kid on the Blog said...

the CKT looks tempting to me... the lamp looks a bit dry... unfortunately nothing like that in Penang.... sad!! :(

Kok said...

wmw,
too bad i couldn't view the photos at the moment. My internet was shaped to 56k. Ahhh!!! I'll come back again to look at the CKT. ;)

Tummythoz said...

Really like thumbing through a postcards collection featuring delicious food!

wmw said...

Precious P : There you have it, Ariff's hp no...from NickRhodesoraya herself! hahaha...

Ethan : I would say the price is on par with the ambiance provided. La Manila's simple cafe's CKT is also RM8.90. I rather eat CKT at Kokopelli's then :) Well, sometimes (not all the time) the soup stains on the bowl enhances the photo.

Nick Rhodesoraya: Is that you woman??? Hahaha, trust you to choose that as your sign in name! Well, I hope Ariff won't be getting calls at unearthly hours asking for a plate of CKT! LOL...

NKOTB: Hahaha...too many shots of little lamps around. Yah, the lamb would have been better if it was taken off the skillet a few minutes earlier. What about the food courier business? ;O) Come to KL!

kok : Ok, see you again...tell me what you think about the CKT!

tummythoz : Hahaha, I will take that as a compliment! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

HAH!! Another place I have been..........NOT!!!

If you ask me, I still think CKT is best from a hawker stall for $3. :)

New Kid on the Blog said...

allo... how to come to KL?? leaving everything behind in Penang? Ya, am thinking hard on the food courier biz.... how ah?? good to invest ah?? hahahahaha

Precious Pea said...

nkotb: Why not? Our Ipoh Mali Jason also dumped everything in Ipoh and joined us in KL! LOL! Or shall we dump everything in KL and join you in Penang? Both way sounds equally good! Wmw, how how? When when?

MeiyeN said...

good, very clear direction! now i know how to go..:D

Anonymous said...

Hey... I just dumped my family, my friends and my car in Ipoh :P

Ahh.. gotta come here to try out soon. I know someone from Pj who can bring me here... hehehe

Kok said...

wmw,
I finally managed to take a look at the CKT photo after loading it for don't know how long. haha!

Like you said, the CKT should be quite spicy (you all ordered it! :P). Other than that, I think that's one high quality plate of CKT. And somemore, look at the big, fat bean sprouts...I'm hungry!!!!

wmw said...

Judy : Surelah...but nowadays can't find anymore hawker stall CKT for RM3 lo...minimum RM3.50.

nkotb : Aiyoh, cannot come to KL for vacation meh? Leave everything behind....no need leh...Hahaha...

Precious P: Yah, maybe we should go Penang but no need to leave everything behind in KL....Now is...When? I ask you, you ask me...LOL

meiyen : You and Bob go in evening lah, more romantic! Hee hee...

Jason : Who is the PJ person you are talking about? Your new found friend??? :p

kok : Ya ah...the bean sprouts so besar. Another reason to come to KL! Hee hee....

Anonymous said...

Why must include USD??

boo_licious said...

Gulp! Food looks so good. Must drop by one day when we're free to try all those menu items. The brunch menu also sounds good.

Rasa Malaysia said...

Looks like a happening place...I am glad that there are more and more great restaurants in KL nowadays. The French Onion soup does look to die for. :)

wmw said...

wow2: Cos I noticed that of late I have quite a number of visitors from USA. Thought it would be good if they knew...

Boo_licious : Let me know when you're going, might want to join you!

Rasa Malaysia : Hey there! Nice to see you around...Yah, that is SOME soup!

Kk said...

I'm sure I don't want to comment on the food coz I don't eat meat., but the pictures look yummy as always. You know what.., you should definitely become some kind of hotel inspection officer or something like that.

wait a min..., don't tell me you already are one !!!

wmw said...

kk: Thanks for the compliment...coming from a vegetarian, that is indeed a honour. I rather be a food critic! hahaha...

Jackson : You belanja me, I can take you there....when??? ;o)

Anonymous said...

Secret la, sis :P

wmw said...

Jason : hehe...will find out sooner or later...most probably sooner ;P

Anonymous said...

Hey, WMW...I have always wanted to go to this place since it is so near my house but never got round to it yet. I read about it in the papers twice and I even entered the tel. no. & address in my phone...sighhhhh wonder when I will get there...next time you wanna go there, ajak le saya...if you are wondering who this is..well I'm the Wan who lives at Section 19...

wmw said...

Anonymous : Sure thing, I know who you are....:)

Anonymous said...

wow....so many new menu!!!!! keep up the good work!!!!

Anonymous said...

kns, #@%&*%* what a place !!!
Yah! food was Ok, however not value for money as it is really over priced from the kind of service and environment ... no parking, loud music_noisy, menu printed on A4 paper, mahjong paper as table cloth... slow serving even with no customer around... NOT worth to revisit again ... kns!!!