Monday, October 12, 2009

King Of Thai Noodle House 2, Clement St San Francisco

I'm bringing you all back to my San Francisco trip (intersperse with Malaysian food posts) as I have still lots to blog about (apart from food, there are also the travel pics - not only from San Francisco but Vegas, Toronto, Ottawa, Quebec & Montreal!).

This time - Thai food. Some say that King of Thai Noodles House is a fast food joint but I won't categorise it as that. Arriving here on a cold windy evening, we waited for a table as the place was packed. A table near the door was available next but the staff told us to wait just a little longer for another table if we were okay with it as it would be cold sitting near the door. The cold wind would hit us whenever the door open/close, you see. Rather nice of the staff to point that out to us.

King Of Thai Noodle House

Appetizer
Looking very much like our local Sar Kok Liew (Fried Stuffed Turnip), this appetizer is Hoi Jor (USD6.95). I was calling this Jai Ho in the beginning by mistake - too much of Slumdog Millionaire's famous song and singing it during karaoke, hahaha..... It's deep fried bean curd paper stuffed with ground pork, crab meat, ground shrimps, ground water chestnuts and served with sweet plum sauce on the side. Absolutely delicious, fried till a nice golden shade - the mixed filling is very fragrant and these weren't oily and went well with the plum sauce.



Green Papaya Salad
Som Tum(USD5.95) - shredded green papaya with tomatoes, green long bean, ground peanuts, dry shrimps in spicy lime dressing and served with sliced cabbage. This salad was too sourish for me but the others liked it. I still took several bites of it and each time, my face would be all screwed up! Hahaha...I think I have a tad of masochistic tendencies :p

Sliced Roast Duck Noodles
Guay Tiew Pad Yang (USD5.95) - noodles with sliced roast duck and tao choy vegetable in chinese herb duck soup. The pickled green chillies and chill flakes were added by Holymookie herself. I didn't get a good shot of it as we were all really hungry and didn't want to be in the way of a ravenous soul :o) I tried some of it and it was good - not out of the ball park goodness but something I wouldn't mind ordering myself. The chinese herb duck soup itself had a distinctive taste but was not what I expected it to be.

Fried Pineapple Rice
And since I was famish, I ordered Koa Pad Sapparos (USD7.95) - pineapple fried rice with chicken, shrimps, white onion and cashew nuts. The portion was huge, definitely enough for two! However, I managed to finish it (after giving a bit to the rest), it wasn't that difficult as this was yummy. Lovely separate rice grain (not mushy soft!), full of flavours and fragrant, it was definitely a very generous portion of EVERYTHING :o). Rice, the pineapple cubes, shrimps, chicken meat and cashew nuts (and there were lots more hidden under the mountain of rice)!

So, if this is King Of Thai Noodle House 2 - that only means that there is a 1. Yes there is...and that will be another blog post ;o) Simple and tasty Thai food at reasonable prices, what's not to like? Another great thing is that they close at 2.30am too! Eating in US is cheap for the locals and when it comes to comparing it dollar for dollar, we realised that Malaysians pay a lot more back home!

King Of Thai Noodle House 2
346, Clement Street (Between 4th & 5th Avenue)
San Francisco, 94118 CA

Tel : (415) 831-9953

King of Thai on Urbanspoon

9 comments:

minchow said...

You said it! We pay way too much for food here, compared to these other nations with economic of wages we're merely aspiring to be! A colleague fr UK recently expressed total shock at how certain things are way costlier than in London city!

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

theres 1, how about 3,4,5? hehe

sc said...

how cute, you found both the 'kings'? which king was more superior? :p

cebu image said...

These pictures can make you hungry. Whew stomach torture did you know that.

anyway do you accept xlink with my PR 4 blog. let me know comment me

jason said...

International food are always overpriced here, especially western... so sad isn't it?

wmw said...

Minchow : How disheartening ... sigh...

Joe : Not that I know of :o)

SC : Hmmm....one big, one small!

Cebu : Thanks for dropping by...will check out your blog.

Jason : Yah lo...

UnkaLeong said...

My eyeballs popped out of their sockets at the price of the Som Tum. Typo? As the rest of the dishes are decently priced..

J2Kfm said...

jai ho?!! hahah .... the images of simon dancing away still play vividly in my mind.

wmw said...

Unka : Hahaha...sorry! Typo, it's USD5.95. Are your eyes okay? :o)

J2Kfm : Must ask Simon to dance again for us! ;p