Wednesday, November 28, 2007

The Nyonya 'One' , SS2 Pasar Malam

I had come across this nyonya nasi lemak stall when I first stumbled on it at Taman Connaught's Pasar Malam (on every Wednesday) and had blogged about it back in Nov 13, 2006. Since informing me that they will be coming over to SS2 pasar malam on Mondays too soon, I have been looking forward to having my usual dose of nasi lemak and after waiting for almost a year, they have finally set up stall here in SS2 Pasar Malam recently.
Stall
Some of my pics of the rendang and chicken curry didn't turn out well. However, I would like to say that what makes this stall special are mainly two things. One is that they actually have Australian Lamb Rendang (RM5/USD1.50 a portion) if you want that as an additional side dish.
Pre packed Nasi Lemak
Secondly, what's different is that the pre-packed small packet of nasi lemak (RM1/USD0.30) has rice with only a slight hint of coconut milk and fragrance from pandan leaves. There's no egg, no cucumber, peanuts or the usual sambal that one gets. Instead, there's only one topping on it, this......
Special topping
It's a spicy delicious mixture of dried chillies, deep fried shallots, dried prawns, garlic and bits of lemongrass (I could be wrong...)! Open the packet and mixed this topping well with the rice. It's really good enough to even eat it on its own. They even sell bottles of this topping (RM10/USD3 a bottle). I've eaten the topping with normal steam rice and even on plain chee cheong fun!
Fried Chicken Drumsticks
Of course, you can still have other things if you want. Apart from the Australian Lamb Rendang, there's Portugese Chicken Curry, Chicken Rendang. There's also Fried Chicken Drumstick!
Skewered Fish Balls
For some more snacks, you can get a stick of these skewered home made fried fish ball for RM2/USD0.60 where they will sprinkle some chilli powder on it if you want it spicy. Springy and nice!
Tom Yam Vermicelli
You can also pack some Tom Yam Bee Hoon (Vermicelli), done economy style (RM2/USD0.60). No meat or vegetables but flavourful nevertheless.

To locate this stall, head towards the side where you'll pass Hong Leong Bank and then you'll see MJ Cafe. Take the left road and walk along the stalls on the left side. You should be near to this stall when you see the OSK Investment signage in the back area of that stretch. They are also at the Cheow Yang pasar malam on Thursdays. If you still can't find them, call Nyonya Leong at 016-6411851 for directions.


Most of the food allergies die under garlic and onion. ~ Martin H. Fischer




35 comments:

Anonymous said...

I envy..! i want some.. :)

dp said...

Ooooh! The pictures are beautiful.

These "snacks" remind me of my summers in Thailand as a child. Just about every day we'd go get breakfast and lunch from the street vendors down the road from my auntie's house.

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

is this the RM1 nasi lemak?? bluff me 1..got rendang la..chicken la..and i want my mata kerbau la..how to eat below RM1?? kekeke..

let me lose abit of weight 1st..i shall call you out for nasi lemak on a monday

HairyBerry said...

no sambal? hmmm..interesting. yeah, i think the dried chilli will be great for many dishes...nice.

Big Boys Oven said...

oh my god....this is good....lovely.... I will definitely will go for! next stop SS2!

~Christine~Leng said...

I like having pre-packed small packet of nasi lemak ;P tho just topped with sambal... it's good! ^^

Anonymous said...

This is something different from the usual nasi lemak. Maybe I just buy the topping then add in other condiments (customize my nasi lemak). But that have to wait till I have a kitchen. Hahahha!

Anonymous said...

Eh that's strange. They are at a pasar malam near my place too every Monday. Hmm..are they jumping ship?

UnkaLeong said...

wah...bungkus and makan your place, can?

Meng Keat said...

There also here in Serdang. Every Monday. Like the sambal topping of the nasi lemak. Got a bottle for myself also. Prefect.

teckiee said...

LOL! Christian name really named Nyonya?!

Precious Pea said...

I think hor...you can consider to be their distributor..am sure many people will place order. Hehehe!

Bernsy said...

whoa, the stuff you show here all looks really really nice. The aussie lamb rendang is really interesting and sound like a must try dish...

Wed - Tmn Connot...alamak haf to wait till next week

wmw said...

mama bok : When you are visiting in KL next time???

dp : Thanks for dropping by. It must have been wonderful to be spending your summers in Thailand!

joe : I didn't. The RM1 pack is good enough to eat even on its own.

nic : Yeah, fried rice, instant noodles, spaghetti???

bbo : Not only at SS2, they have the stall at several locations based on the other people's comments. Take your pick of location.

christine : Have you tried it? Yah, it's simple and nice.

Jason : Yah, am sure you can try doing that. Don't forget to invite me! Hehehe...

tankiasu : When they did tell me they have stalls here and there. Probably are managed by their own folks.

unkaleong : Can, provided you also bungkus my share!

kusahi_keat : Wah! They're also in Serdang???

teckiee : Err...I don't call her Nyonya le :o)

Precious P : Hahaha...Mmm...will ask! LOL!

Bernsy : Haven't tried before? Next Wed then, hope it's worth the wait for you :o)

Cynthia said...

And you question my sadness at not being able to eat food like this...

wonda said...

I never tried tom yam bee hoon. I think I still prefer the kerabu bee hoon.

k.t.x said...

uhhhh, u into her too??? hahahaha, me too babe, same album too!!! she gave me a sense of 'european' before i visit that place in later years.

Christina Kim said...

Wow...Nyonya stuffs, one of my mummy's fave:)

wmw said...

Cynthia : Hahaha.....Ok, we'll have our own sort of sadness when we visit each other blogs, okay???

wonda : Mmm...I like kerabu bee hoon too, they are differet but like both styles.

jackson : Ok, go buy, buy my share too and come over to my place for a game of Wii too!

k.t.x : I didn't understand who you meant at first...then realised you meant Basia! Hahaha...Yes, I love her songs and the music! When want to eat Mee Diao??? :o)

christy : And what is your fave? :o)

Kenny Leong said...

i tried the nasi lemak b4, but was at OUG Happy Garden's night market (on thursday) i guess is the same stall.. yea, 4 the 1st time i bought their pre-pack nasi lemak, open it up n was shock.. wat..? no egg, no cucumber, no ikan bilis, no kacang..? only the dried sambal n rice.. but once i had a spoon.. wow.. it was great.. now i craving 4 more^^

Unknown said...

we have been frequenting this stall but never snap pic..hehehe

Anonymous said...

This stall is available at Seri Petaling's night market on Tuesdays and Fridays as well.

MeiyeN said...

thank you so much! will definitely try this stall when i am at ss2 pasar malam since i am now required to consume RICE! :D

Jason said...

Hahaha...
Too bad they're not in Yulek pasar malam. Never spot them there.

Anonymous said...

Aiyoh, so nice. I want these food too. I love simple mee hoon with no meat as long as there is lots of beanshoots. :)

wmw said...

kenny : Haha...yup, I'm hook on it!

kampungboycitygal : And which area/stall do you go to, since they are at quite a few locations?

anonymous : Wow! Looks like they are everywhere!

meiyen : Also at other locations, so not necessarily must go to SS2 to get them. Aiyah...required to consume RICE, before that never?

jason : Sure, they are not in Yulek??? Go to T. Connaught then.

judy : Beanshoots? or Beansprouts? Or do they mean the same thing?

Tummythoz said...

More interested in that beehoon. Never ec to find a good one.

Anonymous said...

Hahaha Several stalls from Taman Connaught were featured in Ho Chiak...Stuff there must be good.

Tom Yam Bee Hoon I like :3~ The nyonya stall doesn't sell kerabu bee hoon?

Oh yeah, thanks for dropping by.

backStreetGluttons said...

this one sounds refreshing ! another strike in SS2 !

wmw said...

tummythoz : Yup, plain and nice.

Jian : Yes, Taman Connaught has lots of gems. Luckily, some have opened in SS2 recently!

team bsg : Yes, do tahpau and try!

ling239 said...

i notice something similar at the Chow Yang pasar malam on Thursday... are they the same ?

Collecting Moments said...

Hey I just pass by the stall just now at the Cheras Taman Lenseng Pasar Malam.

Yea the bottle of toppings is delicious!! I just eat it on its own. hehe :D

wmw said...

ling239: Yup, they are at Cheow Yang too! Same.

honey star : You live in Cheras? I bought two packets just now too from SS2 pasar malam. Hehe...

Anna said...

The Nyonya One has opened a restaurant in Sri Petaling opposite the Shell petrol station. I went there for the first time yesterday and was greatly disappointed. Their menu is very limited and exactly the same as what is offered in what you have mentioned they offer at pasar malam. While in a pasar malam setting, the variety is enough, in a restaurant it is too limited. We were there at 1.00pm for lunch and ordered pineapple fried rice and rendang. And both were not available because the food is not cooked there....Drinks also limited. Had to go to 7-11 nearby to get my kid a canned drink which they said they had run out of. Not many patrons, even at night for dinner when I pass by....They may do well in pasar malam but I guess they lack the restaurant-running ability....

wmw said...

Anna : Sorry to hear about your experience, I guess they need to learn/still learning.