Monday, July 30, 2007

New Formosa Restaurant, SS2 PJ

(Non-Halal Post)

I had only tried the stone-fire pot steamboat and some desserts at New Formosa Restaurant prior to meeting Mrs Jeannie Lee when she hosted a dinner for some of us floggers recently. Having enjoyed my previous meal there, I was looking forward to tasting other food as they do have quite an extensive menu. It was from this visit that I found out that New Formosa Restaurant has been around for about 28 years serving Taiwanese food! Arriving there, we found that quite a number of dishes and desserts were prepared. The first dish served was a combination of four different types of goodies.
Image00068-1
Butter Eel - For someone who doesn't eat fish or in this case eel (unagi), this Butter Eel was nice. What I like about it was that it wasn't oily at oil and aromatic from the curry leaves.
Image00066-1
Rice Crispies topped with Fried Golden Mushrooms & Clam Meat. I've never eaten these two combinations before but as you know I'm a fan of all types of mushroom. I enjoyed crunching on the rice crispies together with my fave mushrooms.
Image00063-1
Me being one who does not fancy spare parts unless they are crispy was totally surprised by the Sesame Crispy Intestines. I approached with caution and was delighted by how it tasted, very much like deep fried calamari. Now, I have a new fave dish to add to my list!
Image00057-1
The Grilled Prawn Stuffed With Garlic. The skewered grilled prawns was a lovely sight and since I love garlic, I had no hesitation with this.
Image00071
Of the four varieties, I liked the Grilled Prawn the most, probably the simplest of the four. (followed by a close second, Sesame Crispy Intestines)
Image00081
The shiny shimmering liquid on the Suckling Pig isn't oil but white vinegar. Jeannie gave us this pointer when it was served. (Suckling Pig eaten this way , becomes more palatable as this seems to cut down on the oil).
collage8
Next came two variety of ducks; The Longan Roasted Pi-Pa Duck which I found sweet and not so much to my liking as compared with the more favourable SzeChuan Crispy Duck (the one at the bottom). The duck wasn't oily and went well with the plum sauce dip. At this time, I remembered about the drinks that were served to us earlier; the Herbal Tea (the darker one in the foreground) and Sour Plum Juice. I like the Sour Plum Juice better and it seems that it aids in digestion which was what I needed at this point of the dinner! :o)
collage6
At this juncture, we were served a plate of lovely mixed greens; asparagus together with pumpkin! Again unique and nice...Then the Fermented Soya Fish (centre) and the Fried Fish Slices were served next. I only tasted the sauce and found them just okay. Or maybe it was because we all were full by now.
Image00098
The Bamboo Yam Rice was next and after taking the first bite, I was hooked. It was simply so tasty that I was happily tucking away, forgetting about my expanding tummy. Complete with heh bee (dried shrimps) and generous amount of fried shallots, this one is a must order if one is to visit this restaurant!
collage5
We then had the steamboat with Bonito and spicy Mala flavoured soup( bottom right). Jackson then tried his hand at cooking the meat together with the vital ingredients for the Stone-fire Pot. After the "loading" of previous dishes, this was a welcome change. Between the two types, I prefer the stone-fire pot as it's prepared differently. But then, that's just my opinion :o)
Image00132
The it was time for desserts and the one I love the most is the Caramel Yam with honey sauce and sesame seeds. Crunchy on the outside but soft on the inside, this was delightful.
collage4
The rest of the desserts that were served (from top right, clockwise) Puddings; assorted flavours Muachi, Or Nee (mashed yam, pumpkin and topped with gingko nuts)

With that, we ended our dinner, thanked Jeannie for the night and slowly walked back to our cars (as we have some added weight then! LOL). This is one restaurant I don't mind dropping by again, furthermore it's in my neighbourhood!

New Formosa Restaurant
46, Jalan SS2/24 (opposite the Mobil petrol station)
Petaling Jaya

Tel No: 03 - 7875 1894

(Non Halal. Open daily from noon to 2.30 pm, 6 pm to 10.30 pm)

Other Reviews : -
Lots Of Craving
Ipoh Mali Talak Sombong
Masak-Masak



A diet is the penalty we pay for exceeding the feed limit. ~Author Unknown



28 comments:

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

looks like you really worked overnite for this review ar..! good job ler.. tons of pics..and the same comment..how come only a pic of jackson also?? hehehe...

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

I love the eel here. Very nice and not oily.

Kenny Mah said...

Unagi... Ohhh...

Keep seeing them pop from one foodblog to another... subliminal messages to tell me... Go... Order... Eat...

:D

Anonymous said...

WAH!!!!!!!! i should seriously stop checking your blog right before bedtime!

Anonymous said...

Now, tell me how did ya get the black backdrop for the yam pic? :P

wmw said...

joe : Yalor, sacrificing valuable "Wii" play time! Hahaha....

Lyrical L: If I have to put it down to one dish, it's be the Bamboo Yam Rice for me!

kenny : Subliminal? Thought they are pretty direct messages. LOL...

Mrs Pitt : Hi! Hope you manage to get a good night's sleep. :o)

jason : MMMmmmm....Mmmmm.....I recall someone wearing black pants provided that black backdrop. Hee hee....Thanks for you help! :o)

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is definitely one place I must go when I am in PJ. Very impressive wor....just looking at all the pictures I know I am truly, truly missing out. Why didn't my bro take me here lei?

Eh, can curi this for my tag ah? I am truly impressed with this restaurant.

How much the bill ah? Email me please if you don't mind telling me. :) I guess about MR$350 (not including all your alcoholic drinks lah).

Kok said...

wmw,
First, it was joe who make me drool over the food. Now, you! Alamakk...I want niceeee foooodddd

Sze said...

hey, isn't this the place where there's a pot in the middle for a sort of steam boat which they fry things in first for?

Anonymous said...

I wld like to try the Bamboo Yam Rice....:D ..the food is presented so nicely in this restaurant.

Tummythoz said...

*note in diary under SUPERMISSES of d year...*

Anonymous said...

Your spread certainly looks more tantalising than what me and me frens had......eh, next time can tumpang ah? I can pretend to be flogger too lah!

wmw said...

Judy : What do you mean curi for tag? What tag??? Food you want to eat most? Hee Hee...Go ahead! Dunno how much the bill was... but we didn't have any alcohol drinks that night :o), very sober!

kok : You had your nice food...snow crab! So not so bad right?

sze : Oh yah, as I mentioned we had both types. If you look at the collage for the steamboat, you'll see one of us floggers, Jackson, trying his hand at frying. That's the stone-fire pot you mentioned about.

tigerfish : Yup, must try if you ever visit this place. When? :o)

tummythoz : Still thinking about relocating to PJ? Hee hee...

glorious jade : Did you eat the same dishes? Well, we don't get hosted often. We stay true to our opinion irregardless, but that is our own opinion so it might still differ when it comes to the general public. :o) Thanks for dropping by!

Anonymous said...

I just had dinner but why am I still drooling?

The shrimp on the skewer is a good idea. I like garlic as well. When two person sitting next to each other, they must both eat garlic. Otherwise, the smell from the breath would be unbearable. :)

k.t.x said...

now, that's a feast.

ohhh, i dint know taiwanese food has so much fried stuff to offer....lol. not too much of fried stuff on wednesday ok? lol.

lookin forward to the caramel yam dessert....lol.

Anonymous said...

I shall wear black pants to all gatherings then, nice? Hahaha!

Anonymous said...

Goodness, that is quite a feast!

Ari (Baking and Books)

Kok said...

wmw,
me very greedy one lah. Snow crab only where got enough? haha!

wmw said...

Lee Ping : So, will you be trying to do the skewered prawn next??? Either both have to love garlic or one of them has lost the sense of smell! :o)

k.t.x : Hey there! Ooohhh, bamboo yam rice and caramel yam is a must!

jason : Since you offered, thank you! hee hee...

Ari : Thanks for dropping by my blog. Yes, it was indeed a feast that night...

kok : Like that ah....you come to KL, I think I better belanja you food court! Ha ha ha...you can eat from the hundred of stalls!

Precious Pea said...

Oooooo...all looks yummy. Hehehe...luckily I will be going there tonite. ;)

Ginger said...

wahhhh.. sooo nice... great job!!

u make me very very very hungry!

pls link and check out my food blog at http://feastmalaysia.blogspot.com/!

thanks

WokandSpoon said...

OMG - what a fantastic feast!! I think i would like the garlic stuffed prawns as well!!

wmw said...

Precious P : Mmm...what will be on the menu tonight??? Hope you will enjoy it :o)

Jackson : For you only the eel and yam dessert meh? Seemed to me like you enjoyed everything!

ginger : Hi there, thanks for dropping by! Will check out the link.

wokandspoon : Actually, that was our reaction too when they brought out the dishes! Ha ha ha...Lots of OMG moments!

Kok said...

wmw,
*Faint* Belanja makan food court?!?! Can belanja me 100 over restaurants mah. Like that much more better. haha!

wmw said...

Wah...hee hee...it's cause you have such good appetite that I belanja you at food court mah...I can't feed you snow crabs woh! LOL...

SteamyKitchen said...

that dessert looks so interesting - how did the chef get the sugar to do that???

catsndogs said...

OMG .. stay hee for so long also never been there , but always passed by the restaurant...
to make myself not so guilty .. i will try on it this weekends :D

wmw said...

steamykitchen :Apparently the caramel sauce is cooked and poured over the yam (the caramel sauce hardens as it cool, hence you see the strands). After coating the pieces of yam thoroughly, the yam is dunked into a container of ice water to harden it immediately, thus giving this dessert a crunchy bite on the outside and soft yam on the inside!

catsndogs: Yes, make sure you try the Bamboo Yam Rice and Caramel Yam!