Friday, January 26, 2007

Kota Bahru Food Trip Pt. 1

When K asked if I wanted to follow her back to her hometown, Kota Bahru, I replied with a resounding YES! I had gone there about 10 years ago and had a good time, crossing the border to Thailand too. The food was good and I looked forward to another round of it after a decade! K had told me that there wasn't much to do in KB except to eat! Yes, I couldn't help being disappointed...Ha ha ha ;p. On the contrary, I was excited about the food adventure that I was about to embark on.
We took good old Air Asia but the flight was delayed for about half hour and K and I talked about the previous trip we made to KB while waiting. After calling her brother, KS, she said that we will be hitting the first food stop once we touchdown!
When we arrived in KB, sure enough, KS whisked us off to our first meal. He took us to Lim Siong Kee located at Jalan Hamzah (opposite KB Mall). I remember this shop vaguely but I do remember the beef noodles well; they were good! The lady who did the cooking asked me where I was from since I was busy clicking away. She was amused when I told her what I normally do with the pics.
We had the dry kway teow (flat noodles) and plain beef balls. The beef balls come in two sizes and we ordered the larger ones; more oomph! The dry kway teow was nice; it's something about the dark sauce that they use, you know what I mean? With some shredded chicken meat, topped with spring onions & fried shallots, the noodles tasted as good as it looked. The beef balls were firm, not too springy and the soup was lovely. The beef broth is one of the better ones that I've tasted. As we were finishing the noodles, K told me that we'll eat the beef noodles again before we leave KB!
They also have other type of noodles; curry, prawn and chicken at RM3 each but we usually stick with the beef noodles (the beef noodle is RM4)!. The stall opens from early morning till late lunch (while stock lasts!).

To be continued...

11 comments:

KopiSoh said...

How can I thank you for this post, sniff sniff, I miss KB and my relatives so much now. Many many sweet memories, my grandma used to live in Tumpat and my aunt used to sell Nasi Dagang and Nasi Lauk in KB dunno which kopitiam must go ask my mother.

Precious Pea said...

REGRET!! Really regretted clicking into your blog so early in the morning. Tell me, how to survive till lunch time now?

backStreetGluttons said...

The kuey teow looks v rich, & the balls nearly dropped into our big mouths . Dangerous.

wmw said...

Firehorse:What a coincidence! I had actually gone to KB in Dec but decided to post it last night just as you said you wanted to link me. No need to thank me. Yes, there'll be more post coming on Nasi Dagang and Nasi Lauk too (along with others!). Where are you located right now?

Precious Pea: Sorrylah, don't be like that....

team bsg : So, is that good or bad? Ha ha...

Tummythoz said...

When's ur nx trip? Can tapau-ar?

KopiSoh said...

I am in the States right now, wmw I link you ady so now if you dun mind, what would you like your "stall" to be called?

wmw said...

tummythoz:Dunno yet, hopefully not another 10 years! Tapau can, but not so nice as eating there lo.

firehorse : States? Where? I go to SFO quite often. Thanks for the link. My stall ar ? Can give name like Food 4 All Seasons? If can I hereby copyright that name. Hee Hee...

Anonymous said...

hi,

i need to ask, who is this Lyn you hang out with?

Anonymous said...

i may be a friend of hers. a long lost friend.

wmw said...

Anonymous : Why don't you email me at emailwmw@gmail.com with your full name and I'll ask Lyn whether she knows you????

Jasli said...

The famous Kota Bharu Beef Noodles is in Town. Opening on 01 DECEMBER 2012. Located in Puchong Cafe KH20 (Jln Kenari 20) opposite IOI Mall. Opening hours - Morning to Lunch (Mon-Saturday), Closed on Sundays.