Monday, April 16, 2007

Kota Bahru Food Trip Pt. 7

We tried many types of snacks in Kota Bahru while we were there. Today's post is on all the other snack food that we had and all of them were good! We were brought to try a cold delight at this little shop at Jalan Long Yunus.
The absolutely wonderful Cendol Pulut Tapai.
Nasi Pulut Panggang with sambal udang - "prawn" (other varieties available : ikan and daging). The glutinous rice was very aromatic from the grilled banana leaf that wraps the rice. Bought from Yati's Ayam Percik stall (blogging on that later).
They call this "Kieam Kuih", it's a slightly salty rice cake. What makes it really good are the fried shallots and bits of minced small prawns. Add a dash of soy sauce...Yummy!
This is eaten with peanut gravy, somewhat like the regular nasi impit (compressed rice). The thing that makes this very tasty is that the gravy is also cooked with a bit of desiccated coconut.
Remember the pic of the nasi tumpang I took at the Pasar Bulat?This is how it looks like unwrapped and it's yummy too. It's also like nasi impit but with bits of meat floss, prawn, egg and gravy. The tasty filling is added in the center with more rice added after this step and then compressed.
This local kuih is call "Akok" - it's really good! It's a rich thicker version of kuih bakar, without the sesame seeds.
I have seen the kuih on the left before, but on the right, we have "Pulut Pagi" - Morning Glutinous Rice. It's the reverse, the glutinous rice is sweet; cooked with Gula Melaka and served with fresh desiccated coconut.
Instead of the usual flat oval shape pieces of fried sweet potato that we get back in Klang Valley, the fried sweet potato in Kota Bahru is chunky "french fries finger" shape. Each "finger" covered with golden crisp batter, was simply addictive. We only stopped when it was all gone!

All these snacks are available from street stalls. I suppose they taste good from any of the stalls. Just simply delightful snacks or for those with a small stomach, a complete meal! Hee hee...


I eat light....only about 20 different type of snacks a day. LOL - wmw

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG all the foods that I used to eat when I was a lil girl, mwuah thank you for blogging about it.

ah nel said...

tapao some sweet potatto for me... ;)

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

omg everything looks so delicious. So many different types of rice/pulut dishes! What a feast.

MeiyeN said...

wow.... what a ricey post.. though i don't like rice but da pics make me salivating! :D

Tummythoz said...

A few of those made me realise I've not tasted them since childhood days (in small towns). Nostalgic.

Precious Pea said...

"I eat light....only about 20 different type of snacks a day. LOL - wmw"

Goodness...wonder how you define 'heavy'. Hahaha.. anyway..the cendol pulut is my fav and the nasi panggang...aiyoo..in KL they only use coconut. I like the original shrimp sambal. Sedap sedap!

wmw said...

Firehorse : So which one is your favourite?

Ah nel : I also want to tapao. Next trip there...okay? :o)

LLemongrass: Yalah, I'm hoping that someone is actually selling all this food here, just that I don't know about it? Anyone out there knows if we can find such food here?

meiyen:No carbo, that why you're so slim lah...:o)

tummythoz : Yeah, it does remind us of our childhood as I think it hard to find food like these nowadays in the big cities.

Precious Pea : No lah, I was just joking about the 20 snacks a day. Ha ha ha....

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

wah..ur trip really worth it..so much food!!

backStreetGluttons said...

got the chendul pulut tapai in SS2 pasar malam or other stalls ah ?

V will belanja u ( & pp too )
more than 20 each of all the snacks like yr above pixs...

...but only after V finis 3 each of the 'really inviting staring at us' pulut ( can drunk onot ? ok ?

Kenny Mah said...

i LOVE "Kieam Kuih" lah! So long tak makan di...

P.S. I also eat light, but maybe half of yours lah --- 10-12 snacks only... ;)

Anonymous said...

All pics looks so sedap lar... drools..

Kok said...

wmw,
So many type of nasi pulut! I like, I like. In fact, one the kuih I like most is nasi pulut.:)

wonda said...

Wah! Got some snacks I haven't eaten before, eg. the nasi tumpang akok,...

Unknown said...

food4thot is doing reviews on kemaman food..n urs is on kb snacks..whoa i feel like holidaying in east coast lar..

Collecting Moments said...

WOW kuih heaven!!! everthing look so good. If im there , i think i'll go mad and eat til i pengsan. :D

wmw said...

S.W.I.C.C : Can I abbreviate your ID? :o) Made the most of my trip! Really worth it!

team bsg : Ha ha ha...I sure know your team will like the CPT. I only had one helping and remain sober. Dunno whether can get drunk or not, maybe after more than 6 bowls? hee hee..You owe me some snacks, did a search and found that you can find this in Shah Alam. Source : NST Goodbites...Read this

Shah Alam
2. Cendol Pak Akob, in front of Masjid Jamek Tun Uda in Seksyen 16. There are cendol pulut, cendol tapai and cendol kacang. Its specialty is cendol tapai. If you are adventurous enough, try the cendol tapai mixed with pulut. It certainly is different, with a bittersweet taste to it. The stall opens from 11.30am to 6pm. There are tables and chairs for you to enjoy the bowl of cendol in comfort. But if you are there during lunchtime, be prepared to stand, because of the crowd.

Kenny : I really love the Kieam Kuih too....

Jason : The snacks really sedap too, pics sure sedap! ;O)

kok : Mmm...what's the fave local kuih from East Malaysia?

wonda : Make a trip to East Coast to try???

kampungboycitygal : Is it? Will hop over and take a look. Go loh, go to island first then continue with food journey! :o)

honey star : Eat till pengsan? Then after recuperating...repeat cycle. Eat till pengsan again. LOL....

Kenny Mah said...

Did someone say roadtrip/foodtrip to East Coast? Jangan lupa bawa saya, weh... :)

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

call me whatever you fancy..waitin for more food!!...

sc said...

hi wmw, thanks for popping over at my blog :). wah, that's a lot of snacks u tried at K.bahru and all looks so good! keep on writing on K.B, while i'll finish mine on kemaman..hehe

wmw said...

Kenny : Have food, will travel!

SWICC : Really? WHATEVER? Ha ha ha....

sc : Thanks to you too, for dropping at mine. Yeah, I think I have one more KB post to go! :o)

msiagirl said...

OMG I looked at this b4 breakfast in the UK! I'm gonna have to put it away so i stop drooling now - will have to link to you so can return and look/read some more!

teckiee said...

hmm where to get that akok thing in kl... looks good

Kok said...

wmw,
Favourite local kuih ah? Ermm, I'm not quite sure leh. You come to Miri and see for yourself loh. :P

wmw said...

msiagirl : Hi! Thanks for dropping by and for linking me. See you around...

teckiee : Dunno, but I'm on the lookout for it. Will let you know if I can find it here!

kok : Eh, you don't eat kuih in Miri ah? Go to Miri and see...and eat! ha ha ha..

Melting Wok said...

hey wmw, u know how far of a drive is from Pg to KB ? hm..btw, back to ur past question, am going home this mid Sept hehe..counting nano secs. now hehe :))

Kok said...

wmw,
I got eat kuih lah. But then, I don't know what's some of the name. hahaha! Common one would be "ang guh kuih", "pulut panggang", "7 layers kuih" and so on...

wmw said...

melting wok : I have no idea about time....I googled and it seems Penang to KB is about 375-400km! Might as well fly...Hope to see you in Sept.

kok : Oh, don't know name....okay, okay.

Anonymous said...

my...my... those are my never-leave-out cuisine when im back in my kampung. but the 'nasi tumpang' is very rare to find nowadays. but, i heard they sell it at Wakaf Che Yeh. So, i plan to 'ambush' the place when im back..soon..ehehehe

wmw, tq 4 having these heavenly delicacies in your blog....kudos!!