Sunday, September 10, 2006

Malacca - Part 3

After better planning on my 2nd day, we made our way to A Famosa. Who would have thought when this place was built that it would one day become a tourist attraction? I still have hope for charging an entrance fee in the future when folks come into my house to see my "memorabilia". Mrs Pitt will beg to differ and say that they're rubbish. Whaddaya mean rubbish? Bah! Rubbish! Oops, got derailed...Ok, back on track. It was a scorching afternoon and after climbing the stairs, we were perspiring like crazy. So thank goodness, we had some cool breeze when we reached the top. Apart from the peddlers (selling t-shirts, key-chain, water...), there were a lot of students scattered across A Famosa, doing their sketches.
See what I mean by scorching ???
And here's what he was drawing....
It was an interesting journey through time and this is one of those time I felt is about the closest I can get to be a part of history. Well, after spending about an hour here, we then left as our stomach was beckoning us for food! Having had brunch earlier, we looked for some tea time food. I drove to Jalan Bunga Raya to look for some food but had problem finding for a place to eat. Most stalls were either closed at this time (around 3) or haven't opened! Sigh, we walked around and chanced upon Mei Sin Cafe which is your conventional coffeeshop with food stalls. We ordered satay and on seeing something that I haven't come across in KL/PJ (the closest would be lobak), I ordered a plate of assorted snacks.
The snacks were pretty average and the satay too. The satay was only very lightly marinated and it's saving grace was the peanut gravy. It has a hint of pineapple (a guess), making it tangy. Something different but nice. Wonder where I can find such satay sauce here in KL/PJ.

At this point mom was saying that we should most probably pack some food back and eat in, not wanting to risk getting lost again at night. It's a shame to stay indoors but with my bad eyesight, I didn't have much of a choice. We went to look for the famous popiah (fresh spring roll) located in front of Madam King's departmental store. I found it when I saw a stall surrounded by customers. I had to wait a while as there was a lady who ordered about 20 pieces! A regular size costs RM2 whereas big (huge enough to be a meal itself) costs RM2.50. Here, the filling's chunky and there's a magic ingredient that makes it taste so good. What magic ingredient? It's crispy lard! Not to be missed if ever you're in Malacca! Err...unless you don't like crispy lard.
We then went into Italy Bakery shop and bought some buns and I picked up a Pineapple Cupcake. I have not seen any Pineapple Cupcake like the ones here. Topped with pineapple pieces and with added raisins, it looked so nice. I just had to try it and luckily, it tasted as good as it looked. All was good that night. Ha ha ha....What was planned for the next morning? The Malacca Zoo awaits...

To be continued ...

No comments: