Monday, November 27, 2006

Mr Wong & His Kuih Tutu

I've a story to tell behind the post and pictures today. On Nov 4, I had posted a short farewell message to an uncle who passed away in an accident. He used to sell kuih tutu in the weekly night market in SS2 and in Taman Cheras (Yulek) too.

My friend in Cheras told his daughters (who have been carrying on with the business since the demise of their dad) what I did and they were grateful that someone else remembered their dad too. One of them passed a contact number through her, so that I can email her the link. I smsed her and asked for her email and two days later, I received a call from the uncle's wife.

I never knew my short post would lead to this encounter. It was heartbreaking indeed to have learnt more about the uncle, Mr Wong. Me, being a real softie, tried hard to fight back the tears as Mrs Wong spoke to me. Apparently, it was quite a big blow to Mrs Wong and the rest of the family as Mrs Wong had also lost her son to lung cancer 5 months before the accident claimed Mr. Wong's life. It seems that Mr Wong was feeling tired but had promised a friend to help out with some errands. He was the sort of man who kept his promises. His friend was supposed to pick him up from a designated place but was running really late. As Mr Wong got restless, he decided to drive off to meet some of his other friends first. It was then the accident happened - he drove up the kerb, over the drain and crashed into some trees. Mrs Wong believed that he must have fallen asleep at the wheel for a split second and that cost him his life. He wasn't one to drive fast, and he came across to me as an alert elderly man for someone who's in his 70s, not one who has slow reflexes, I mean.

Mrs Wong tells me it has been hard dealing with the loss and she still looks at his photo every night before she sleeps. He is dearly missed by the family. Only time will help ease the pain and I told her what helped me go through the loss of my dad was to think of all the happy times I had with him. Maybe it would help if she thinks of the happy times she had with Mr Wong too. She had called to thank me for writing about him in my blog and said that if Mr Wong knew, he would have indeed been very happy too that someone thought about him enough to write about him. I then asked if she would send me a pic of him so that I can put in on my blog. I received it last Thursday from her daughter. He must have been in his 50s in the pic. So, today's post is dedicated to Mr Wong and his kuih tutu.





The daughters are doing a great job , the Kuih Tutu still tastes great. Not too much flour and tasty filling. They said they are still doing the business as a way of remembering their Dad. Mr Wong, you would be proud of your daughters. Here's to you Mr. Wong. Have a great new life! And to you, Mrs Wong and family, may your tears be dried, souls be soothed and clouds be lifted, all in good time. Live well...

May you have warm words on a cool evening, a full moon on a dark night, and a smooth road all the way to your door. ~ Irish Toast

10 comments:

boo_licious said...

That's a great tribute to Mr. Wong who was such a good man. I only met him once but I liked him too. It's also good his daughters are carrying out his legacy as you don't get kueh tutu anywhere nowadays.

Rasa Malaysia said...

Wow, that was a tragic story...sad. :(

wmw said...

boo : I drop by the SS2 pasar malam whenever I can and I will surely buy the kueh tutu!

Babe_KL said...

*sobs* such a touching tribute

Anonymous said...

Touching.. and you are so sweet to remember the deceased. Thank God for ppl like you ..!
Bless his soul.. and bless your heart..!

wmw said...

Rasa Malaysia: Yeah, sad, especially when I'm such a softie, makes me sadder. But I'll always lift my spirits up!

babe_kl & mama bok : As long as there are memories, the people are always still around. Thanks....

Anonymous said...

it is indeed a sad story. it is so hard to deal with the parting of someone you love dearly. I am sure Mr. Wong is dishing out delicious kueh tutu in the new world. bless you for honoring him.

CuteJoey said...

may i know where else got sell this tutu kuih or putu piring? i know midvalley lower ground jusco there got one stall selling this. 4 pieces for rm2.

wmw said...

cutejoey : I think they have it here and there in the mall nowadays but this stall at the pasar malam is still one of the better ones around.

Anonymous said...

I missed him too. I did help him in morning market to tapao the kuih tutu. God bless him