Monday, November 10, 2008

Nagomi @ Hartamas Shopping Centre

The good old gang gathered recently for a birthday celebration at Nagomi in Hartamas Shopping Centre. Both SL and I arrived early and the restaurant was pretty quiet and this gave me some time to take photos (using JC's camera which I borrowed - had forgot to bring my camera!) of the place.

Looking In
Outside looking into the private room where we sat

Looking Out
Inside looking out into the outer part of Nagomi

Nagomi specializes in Shabu-shabu and also has sashimi/sushi on its menu. The group of us all went for the Shabu-shabu sets, choosing the Nagomi signature broth (which I opted for) and the Chicken broth which is boiled with chicken bones for 4 hours! It comes with each shabu-shabu set order but if one chose to order an additional pot it's RM8/USD2.25 for it (there's spicy broth too).

Pouring In The Broth




The menu also tells us how to "Shabu-Shabu" in 5 steps -

1) First cooked the vegetables to bring more flavour to the broth and for tastier meat cooked in it later.
Vegetables
Also comes with the set (additional order of vegetables comes at RM29/USD8!). Lovely fresh vegetables, according to Nagomi, it's soaked in icy salt water for 20 minutes to rid it of pesticide. I must say I never enjoy eating vegetables as much as I did at Nagomi.

2) Then swish the meat back and forth in the boiling soup

Swishing

But before we do that, the staff were at hand to coat the slices of chicken (RM28/USD7..80 for 150gm) and duck (RM31/USD8.70 for 150gm) with egg and making meatballs after mixing some egg with the minced meat.

Duck Slices with Egg

Mixing Egg with the Duck Slices and Meatballs

Egg Mixed Duck Slices & Meatballs
Here's the duck slices and meatballs....lovely and yummy. As thin as it should be though, that also meant that the cooked slices were rather tiny (as compared to the ribeye slices) and disappeared too fast after I placed them in my mouth! Hahaha....

Ribeye Slices
The Australian ribeye slices (RM39/USD11 for 150gm) were nice too but the duck was the most flavourful of the three meats (chicken, duck and ribeye).

3) Dipped the cooked meat into Nagomi's home made sauces (from left to right)
- Goma, made from ground sesame, sake, soy sauce, kelp stock, sugar and other sauces
- Chilli, a good concoction, made available because we are Malaysians! :o)
- Ponzu, made from soy sauce and juice from bitter orange, sweet sake, kelp and other sauces

Sauces

4) Continue cooking - alternating vegetables and meats (At this point, I stopped taking photos and kept myself busy with eating!).

5) Pour in some steamed rice into the pot of the now really flavourful broth and let it cooked for awhile to absorb the broth. Tuck in for a wonderful end to a wonderful meal with great friends!


The End


Nagomi
Hartamas Shopping Centre
Lot G11A&B, Ground Floor
Jalan Sri Hartamas
50480 Kuala Lumpur

Tel : 603- 6201 7130

http://www.nagomishabushabu.com/


“A round egg can be made square according to how you cut it;
words would be harsh according to how you speak them”

- Japanese Proverb



23 comments:

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

this is definitely something i need to try..been wanting to eat sukiyaki like this..most places somehow throws my meat in b4 serving it to me..

Anonymous said...

The steps seems interesting.

New Kid on the Blog said...

Oooo... looks good!! :)

Anonymous said...

I love that Japanese proverb... and it's making me crave Square Eggs now! LOL

Seriously though, let's un-harsh our words and make amends with those we may have have offended... :)

Kok said...

wmw,
The vege are sooo fresh! Here the Shabu-shabu not as good.

HairyBerry said...

with all the hands-on cooking, this is a rather educational dinner i'd say. fun!!!

wmw said...

Joe : Yes, I truly enjoyed dinner + company.

Jason : You should try it!

NKOTB : It is! Nice and relaxing...

LFB : You should write a post titled "Square Eggs" then!

Kok : Yup, the veges were extremely fresh and crisp!

Nic : Yes, I enjoyed myself thoroughly, but co. also counts :o)

Precious Pea said...

This is not the place similar to BBQ plaza you told me about right?

daphne said...

oh boy, that sukiyaki and fresh food really does appeal to me. And private room-nice!

choi yen said...

I think I can finish the whole plate of beef slices by my own~~ *carnivore*

teckiee said...

the egg is interesting.

Anonymous said...

i love the final step..pour all the rice in to make delicious juk

email2me said...

I've tried this at their Menara Hap Seng outlet. There they have open kitchen where you can see your kobe beef being sliced.

http://www.foodpoi.com/2008/10/nagomi-shabu-shabu/

Ciki said...

looks like duck carpaccio.. but that would be just too gamy, innit? nice write up!

wmw said...

Precious P : Oh, that's a different place, not this one.

Daphne : Uh-huh, we created quite a ruckus in the room! :o)

mimid3vils: Probably can, but add the vege and we should all be really full!

teckiee : Had fun looking at the staff kneading the meatballs with cutlery.

KBCG : Yup, delicious stuff there!

email2me : Yah, I notice the counter on the way in, but since the place was rather quiet, no live action.

cumi & ciki : Hey, it does! :o) but none of the gamey taste! Two thumbs up!

backStreetGluttons said...

aiyoyo so much food so few faces...we shud have been there( again)

Unknown said...

what a lovely place to dine... thanks for sharing... will definitely keep this in mind when i go visit kl... :)

tigerfish said...

Wah...it looks really luxurious :D

ai wei said...

slurrrppp...

can only open my eyes n sit in front of this monitor n droool

wmw said...

BSG : I'm still waiting to drink some beer with you and karaoke! ;o)

mikky : My pleasure, good things are meant to be shared. Thanks for dropping by, see you around.

tigerfish : I thoroughly enjoyed myself :o)

Ai Wei : No need for that wor, you can always go and eat at Nagomi's for real!

Simon Seow said...

First time I see duck in steamboat. lol.

wmw said...

Simon : It's lovely...go try!

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

I had been to the restaurant after reading this review. I would give two thumbs up for the food. It is really healthy. I also had found out why the vegetables are crispy and fresh. This is because they actually soaked their veggies with sea salt icy cold water..mmm this is a good thought by a restauranteur.

My whole family members had already plan to come for CNY reunion dinner on eve. The price is very affordbale with the current dinner promo. Only RM39.90 for 7-Course Meal...where to found ah....You guys should give it a try. Cheers!