Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Typica Cafe, Shaw Parade Kuala Lumpur

OL, Soo and I went on a food journey not too long ago and Typica Cafe was our last stop for the day. However, this little and simple looking cafe won my heart over with its coffee and dessert. OL drove into the heart of town one weekday and we stopped here for a tea(coffee)time treat. We knew exactly what to order for dessert but we had to deliberate over the selection of coffee. However, once we told the staff what we wanted for dessert, the staff gave us some recommendations as to which coffee would pair well with it.


Ice Drip Coffee
We followed her recommendations and I ended up with the Guatemala Ice Drip Coffee. A frozen coffee ice cube is served in an empty glass. The staff then pours the coffee from a mixer into the glass before you.

Guatemala Ice Drip Coffee
The Guatemala Ice Drip Coffee (RM16) - Drank black, the aroma and flavour of the roasted beans were wonderful. It was full bodied and had a pleasant aftertaste with a bitterness that was just spot on without being too overwhelming. While I'm not a coffee aficionado or one who can analyse in detail, I do know that this was indeed a great glass of coffee.

And exactly what dessert did we order (this came highly recommended by OL who had tried it earlier and loved it!)?

 

Yam Cake
Yam Cake (RM10)

Yam Cake
When OL mentioned Yam Cake to me earlier, I thought it was our typical Chinese Yam Cake (the one we eat with the sweet and chilli sauce). The Yam Cake in Typica Cafe was something I've tried for the first time.

Yam Cake
Decorated with generous and delicate coconut shavings (plus bits of crush assorted nuts) , this cake was absolutely delish. The yam paste was light, smooth, creamy and aromatic. With a cookie base (?) and a thin layer of sponge cake in between, each bite was an invitation for more (an invitation we couldn't refuse), till there was none left!

Guess whenever I'm downtown, I'll take the opportunity to drop by Typica Cafe for an afternoon treat (preferably after visiting some of the other places and goodies found in the hustle bustle of the city). Life is great :o)

(Partial lyrics of Downtown)
Just listen to the music of the traffic in the city
Linger on the sidewalk where the neon signs are pretty
How can you lose?

The lights are much brighter there
You can forget all your troubles, forget all your cares and go
Downtown, things will be great when you're
Downtown, no finer place for sure,
Downtown, everything's waiting for you


Typica Cafe
GL-08, Ground Floor
Shaw Parade Plaza
Changkat Thambi Dollah
55100 Kuala Lumpur
(http://typicacafe.blogspot.com)

Tel : 603-2145 0328
Opens from Mon-Sun, 11am - 9pm

14 comments:

Rebecca Saw said...

oh my god!!
It does look absolutely delish!
I MUST GO & GET MYSELF A SLICE!

jason said...

Pretty yam cake!

The Malaysian Explorer said...

Excellent photos. Like the shot where the drink flows..

Cheers!
Do visit the Kuala Lumpur Attractions page for quick facts and interesting information about places of interest in and around Kuala Lumpur.

qwazymonkey said...

Wow, who would've thought a nice place like this exist at Shaw's! That cake looks so inviting!

sc said...

OMG! usually, the yam paste is thinner than the cake, but this..this...is so right! :D must try it the next time i'm over there..

ellenN said...

Hi! I was there last Saturday.
It's a really cozy place.

Tummythoz said...

Hmm been passing that complex but never noticed this place.

Quite a pricey teabreak for that area wasn't it?

wmw said...

Jason : Yes, pretty and tasty!

NomadGourmand : Let me know if it passes YOUR test :o)

Abt Malaysia : Thanks for dropping by!

qwazymonkey : Yes, it's was a pleasant find.

SC : Yes...let me know your verdict.

ellenN : Yeah, simple and nice.

TummyThoz : For that area, I suppose :o)

J said...

*lol*
At first glance I thought the place was (strangely) named Typical Cafe....
(Hmmm.. the photo of the coffee is calling out to me...)

三只猫 said...

I just browse thr their blog few days ago and thinking to drop by and try one day.

http://typicacafe.blogspot.com/

wmw said...

J : That's what I thought too when I first saw the cafe.

3-cat : Oh...let me know how you find it. :o)

Leo Sigh said...

Someone recommended this place, but the prices are high for something that's nothing more than a black iced coffee. I can get a latte for that at Coffee Bean or Dome.

mimo5205 said...

how i wish i was there right this moment...coffee my lover!! x)nectar of my life ever~

Anonymous said...

coffee, yeahsoutely my lover~
awful sharing!