Monday, January 25, 2010

Alcoholic Gelato! @ Kopi Bar, Centrepoint, Bandar Utama

I have been thinking hard whether I should actually keep quiet (well, thanks to Eat First Think Later who told us about this wonderful discovery!) or share it. I decided that it is better to give :o), especially since I am a believer that "You Get What You Give" :o).

Kopi Bar @ Centerpoint serves an array of hawker fare plus dishes of which I have yet to try. A search on the internet shows that the Hainanese Chicken Rice is one of the specialties here. Somehow or rather, I never got round to it. Previously, I've been to Kopi Bar numerous times for drinks as they serve both alcoholic drinks and local tea and coffee, toast and half boiled eggs (hence the name Kopi Bar) in a simple and cosy setting. A 2-in-1 place for alcoholic and kopitiam customers indeed! The other specialty is one that is probably not really known to a lot of people yet.

EFTL had earlier told us about her Cameron Highlands trip and that she came across a stall selling home made gelato. Apart from the usual flavours, this stall serves some pretty unusual ones too (I'll come to that later) which EFTL tried. She told us, that she and her family practically stood there and ate countless scoops of ice-cream one serving after another, lining up again & again. Yes, it was THAT good! She lamented to the stall owner that she wouldn't be able to find such gelato back in Klang Valley. To her delight, she was told that they do send a batch to Klang Valley. To two places exactly; Bangsar and Centrepoint! She couldn't remember where exactly in Bangsar but paid more attention to Centrepoint since that was a more convenient spot for her. However, EFTL wasn't sure of where exactly and when she told me that it's suppose to be near McDonald's, I knew it had to be Kopi Bar which is tucked in a corner of Centrepoint. We made our way there and didn't see any noticeable side on the outside about such desserts. So ETFL asked one of the staff and he handed us a little menu. Eureka! We found the place (happy feet, doing a little dance!)....

So you ask, "What unusual flavours are you exactly talking about, WMW???".....Errrr, why don't you see for yourself?

Food Cottage's Gelato
Pay attention to the first 3 items on the list!!! I was ecstatic when I saw this menu.
Need I say more??? And now, I find myself eating these alcoholic gelato often at Kopi Bar or constantly thinking about these alcoholic gelato when I'm not! Help ... I think I have turned into an alcoholic! Hahaha....

Alcoholic Gelato
My two fave flavours : The grey looking one is Danish Royal Stout with Carlsberg while the one at the bottom is Jamaica Rum with Raisins! The gelato is lovely; creamy and packs a punch without being too rich. I especially love biting into the raisins that has rum bursting out of it! I even "beer burped" for the record ;o)

It's RM3/scoop and RM5 for two scoops. Seems that it's priced lower if you get them in Cameron Highlands (but I am not able to tell you where). So there you have it ... I wonder if others have been keeping mum about this gem or there are just too few of us who knows. We shall see in time....


Kopi Bar
Lot G106, Ground Floor (just opposite McDonald's)
Centrepoint, Bandar Utama
47800 Petaling Jaya

Opens 9 am - 11 pm daily
Tel : 03-7710 6966


What on earth could be better than ice cream? Alcoholic ice-cream!!! - wmw


18 comments:

jo said...

I thought they have rum raisin in Baskin Robbins? but that is ice cream la.

Japan got squid ink, salt, spinach ice cream/ soft cream. Not sure gelato or not. Just eat only ;)

Babe_KL said...

oooo they hvnt got these alcoholic gelato when i was there few months back!

hmm must google how to make them :p

Ciki said...

damn! how cool.. and i didn't even see the place.. i am so going!!

ai wei said...

Oo Oo Oo!

alcoholic gelato?!?!?! okay, will go there next. wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

alcohol alcohol alcohol, opppsss

Kenny Mah said...

Kirsch-flavoured gelato? Oh I am in heaven already - my two homes-away-from-home in Europe (Germany & Italy) divinely combined...

You are a saint to bless us with this review, dear! ;)

J2Kfm said...

OOOhhhhh.... keeping mum eh? What should I do to pry open that mouth of yours? Hmm? Canning Garden CCF?! Goodshed Roti Telur?!!!

I tasted some alcoholic ice-cream at the night market in Cameron Highlands once.

wmw said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
wmw said...

Jo : I believe that Rum Raisin from BR is just rum flavoured as BR in Malaysia is certified halal - meaning no animal fats and all the other stuff too.

Babe_KL : Make them! Go! Go! Go! :o)

Cumi&Ciki : Enjoy!

Ai Wei : Hahaha....looks like I'm rounding up other alcoholics...hehehe...

LFB : Ahhhh....go get some! You'll be in seventh heaven, you angel...

J2Kfm : Hahah...Canning Garden CCF sounds great! That must be the same stall where EFTL and her family ate!

J said...

Yummy! Alcohol + gelato = double the fun! :)

Big Boys Oven said...

wow definitely my type of gelato! so sexy, so alcoholic!

choi yen said...

I scare I will drunken, haha!!!

Rebecca Saw said...

what a find! I must try di!!

wmw said...

J : Double the pleasure :op

BBO : Yah, like alcohol - eat more, things not sexy also become sexy! Hahaha...

mimid3vils : Make sure if you eat this, don't drive :o)

thenomadGourmand : Yeah, great stuff at such a price!

Air said...

wow..great place and affordable place..tq for sharing..=)

HairyBerry said...

white beer gelato is rare. it's one of the reasons why i eat gelato..hehehe...in such an accessible place summore. must go! ;D

wmw said...

Air : Yeah, go try it out :o)

Nic : Haven't seen you around for awhile, how are things with you?

rokh said...

Whoa seriously a worthy secret!! Destroy this post while I go and wallop 'em alcoholic gelato. Hic!

jason said...

I cant remember which flavour I had that day :p