Thursday, February 06, 2014

HTC One Max Review

If some of you can recall, I received a HTC One Max unit from HTC for my testing and review sometime back in mid Dec 2013.  My opinion of the HTC One Max is not one full of technical jargon but of one of a “layman” view of the phone.  Now as a user of the HTC One, the HTC One Max looked huge when I first laid my eyes on it.  However, after using the HTC One Max for about two months now, my HTC One is now such a small phone to me whereas the HTC One Max has now become my favourite and feels just spot on right in my hand.  Some parts of this post were taken from the previous post but I have elaborated further with my own experiences in each of the highlighted features.


The HTC One Max oozes pure entertainment excitement with great performance specifications.  The phablet size HTC One Max running on Android 4.3 with a 5.9" full HD 1080p display looks simply awesome.  Weighing at only 217g, this phablet packs a punch!  While most of the HTC One specifications are found in the HTC One Max with the same premium design. there are several additions to take note of:

  • A micro SD card slot has been added (up to 64GB) plus a  free 50GB of online storage on Google Drive for exclusively for HTC One Max owners.  I personally rejoice with this addition as I take a lot of photos (I really mean A LOT) and being able to store my photos on the SD card is great news to me! I really love the photos that I take with the HTC One Max.
Here's a shot I took of a sunset view at Mont Kiara


  • Built in Fingerprint Scan to lock/unlock the screen.  It also enable owners to quickly launch up to three applications with three different fingerprints accordingly. I love the quick way I can unlock my phone with this feature.  I also use two other different fingerprint to launch the Camera and the other to launch my favourite Photo App, Pixlr Express.
  • Dual Capture; simultaneously shoot a video or a photo with the front and rear camera together to capture both views.  Eg. rollercoaster rides where one can shoot the ride and one's reaction at the same time! I had used this to capture my friend’s antics while playing Wii and also badminton and on the other side, me, laughing my head off. Hahaha....
  • Battery performance of up to 25 hours of talktime and 585 hours for standby from the 3300mAh battery capacity! While I have not counted my actual hours of talktime and standby,  I have been able to use my phone from morning to the time I retire for the night and still have some battery juice left.  As mentioned, apart from using the HTC One Max to take lots of photos (it takes great photos! I just can’t enough of it!  The low light shots are great with the Ultrapixels), photo editing, Facebook, checking emails, communicating on WhatsApp, watching more videos (as I love the big screen), it does well for a day’s worth of performance for such usage.
I took a screenshot of my battery level.  This was after 14 hours of usage and counting with moderate FB, Gmail, lots of photo taking (some photo editing), heavy WhatsApp usage.  With Power Saver on, there was still 52% left at 11 pm.

  • HTC Sense 5.5 which comes with lots of great new features! One of the thing I do love is the quick settings grid.  It’s so much easier and faster to access the settings now plus the fact that it also allows me to prioritize which 12 of the 21 items given to appear in the grid.

The HTC One Max looks almost exactly like the HTC One, except that it's bigger.  Anyone looking for a phablet (a phone and tablet!) as their next purchase,  just stop right here.  This is the BEST PREMIUM Android phone in the market right now in my opinion. Check out the full specifications HERE.


Next : Entertainment Maximus on HTC One Max



No comments: